Help me get a laptop for my grandma...

Vakri

I'm looking for a laptop for my grandmother for under $400.

No 3d gaming, it just needs to do basic internet stuff (Facebook, blogging, tweeting, etc.) as well as HD videos (Netflix, youtube).

Right now I'm looking at:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215345

$379

15.6" screen (don't want any smaller)

Pentium B940 (2.00GHz)

4GB DDR3 Memory

Intel HD Graphics

Is that a good price-to-parts ratio? Is it overkill? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Looks decent, but I've had bad experiences with Acer laptops in the past. They tend to use shoddier parts than some manufacturers. It should be fine, but I'd almost recommend seeing if you can get a Core i3-based laptop instead of a Pentium. Also, my recommendation is to always get the extended warranty, since SOMETHING will most likely go wrong at some point.

This particular laptop has a Core i3 processor, and similar other specs to the one you just posted: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834246489

Only reason I'd recommend this over the one you mentioned is the higher grade of processor, as well as the better brand name reputation. Should last a bit longer, theoretically.

Do want to drop in as an Acer customer, I would not recommend it.

Have not been pleased with the company as a whole, you have to go through hell to get in touch with them if your warranty runs out. Customers service isn't great at all. Also, the labtops like Flexstyle said are not that reliable.

Go with a better company. Specs are fine, IMO. Just a different brand name would be recommended.