Zelda OOT - Lost Woods (Ambient/Experimental Remix)

Iceferno

Here I decided to try something a little different. The other day it occured to me how much the Lost Woods are like the rooms of Cube, that sci-fi horror flick by Vincenzo Natali. I decided to blend the theme with elements of Mark Korven's main theme for Cube.

One of my shorter remixes too, so it could potentially be up on here, but I'm really not all that bothered by OCR submissions. Just listen and enjoy :)

Cube Theme:

Wow great sounds for the ambient portions... please tell me what vsts you are using for the drums, lush pad and sfx? That ambience rocks...

But when Saria's song begins (and it takes quite a while to get to Saria), it is in such a totally different mood, way too happy... it doesn't go with the dark, minor-toned background, the transition and juxtaposition of moods is a bit jarring. If you rewrote the Saria portions to be minor and dark, it would work, but like this I'm not feeling it. Even the instrumentation doesn't match... the flute vst is nowhere near as epic as the backing stuff. And those 4 plucked stabs at 2:02 don't work at all... Overall this feels like two songs jammed together!

But that being said I really love the soundscape... I think with some revised Saria writing (using darker instrumentation) this could be epic.

The drums come from the 'oldschool ana' preset in z3ta with a very low cutoff. At the peak it's more of a buzz, but the lower the cutoff, the bassier it gets.

The reason I kept the 'Saria bit' light was for contrast. The whole thing about Cube is that it has an overall gloomy atmosphere. Think of the Lost Woods melody as the oasis in the dark atmosphere of Cube. It sounds like the melodies don't match, but they do. It's just a little unusual.