ZeldaStep - Princess Zelda Theme ReMix

Hey guys. I've been just doing Zelda after Zelda remixes lately, and I thought I might show this one to you guys.

I've been working on it for some time now, and I'm really liking it, personally. As the title says, this is a ReMix of the Princess Zelda theme. Some would say "dubstep!" but honestly I don't think it's exactly dubstep. I just think it's some source of hardcore techno music. I called it ZeldaStep, as you can see (hahaha!)

I am thinking about possibly turning up the bass in the song a little, though I'm not sure about that. I say it's finished, but I never know when I may go back and tweak it a little.

So yeah. What do you guys think?

Link: http://soundcloud.com/gwilliamson/zeldastep-princess-zeldas

Interesting take on the theme.

The slow drums are the what makes this special IMO. As a suggestion, I'd add a second kick in every bar between the second and third beats. I think it makes the drums feel a bit more full.

The strings help the song in avoiding excessive repetitiveness, even though the main theme does get repeated a bit too much without much variety.

I'm also a bit surprised by the fact that you don't finish the main theme with the high note that the original does. It'd be more interesting to use that instead of the descending notes every time.

I'm also a bit surprised by the fact that you don't finish the main theme with the high note that the original does. It'd be more interesting to use that instead of the descending notes every time.
Yes that's true.
As a suggestion, I'd add a second kick in every bar between the second and third beats. I think it makes the drums feel a bit more full.
You know, I'm not sure I want to do that. But, I think maybe adding in a cool kick rhythm randomly in certain spots would add variety, yes.

The intro until 0:25 sounds a bit too much like it would fit in the actual game's engine. Maybe you could add some vibrato or other articulations on the lead that make it seem less like it was a direct rip from the game. ;D I do like how you increased the reverb at 0:18 for some contrast through.

At 0:26 - 0:52, the percussion has the same kick rhythm the entire time. Maybe you could change that up starting here, and put the kick at the earlier logical rhythmic place (I believe it's half a beat left). The delayed cymbal (delayed or fade-sequenced? Kind of the same, but not completely) at 0:26 doesn't seem to work that well there. I think that a high decay, 70-30 wet-dry ratio reverb might work a lot better in that spot and at 0:49.

The transition SFX at 0:51 is a bit awkward. Maybe you can try some modulation effects, like a low bandwidth band pass shift, or a low pass frequency increase, or maybe even a resonance increase AND low pass frequency increase.

At 0:53 and 1:44, that section's snare could use some more high-end. Right now the low end is somewhat interfering with the low pad. Don't get rid of the low end, but reduce it a bit, and layer on a snare with some more high end punch. A good compressor I love to use is "endorphin". Try it, it's free, and great on drums. :D

Also at 0:53 and 1:44, you should definitely change the lead to a MUCH more dynamic one. Try creating a PWM lead with a late attack vibrato (maybe 40 ms), and maybe even a high pass effect routed to an envelope with a late attack, (maybe about 50 ms). I don't know if your plugins can do that, but there are some that can. Definitely add some reverb on it to give it presence.

At 1:18, it seems like a pseudo-breakdown is what you were going for. Maybe you could low pass the percussion a bit so that it seems "lo-fi", for a great contrast.

At 2:10, there is no lead in sound to the breakdown section. :| Try something. Maybe a cymbal with high decay reverb and a low pass frequency decrease?

The bass pitch envelope at 2:21 is good, but it's covering only the bass. Try adding on a reverse cymbal to cover more frequencies in that lead in; that might work better than just the bass.

At 2:24, you could start bringing in some action toms, along with strong layered claps and high end snares. That would be really cool. They could even carry onto the end of the song. Think of 2:24 to the end as the long, triumphant outtro.

Somehow, I believe a reverse cymbal with delay at 3:15 would be more effective; try that! :D

The piano at 3:27 and anywhere else should be played live if possible, for more realism. Right now it seems the hard timbre of the piano is heard in almost every note, giving it more of an artificial feel. It's fine if you're playing forte, but don't do that the whole time. Maybe increase the velocity response? :D Also, try to go for more of a realistic room reverb on the piano; that would really make it great. Kind of like this video I made:

Good luck! :D

Ok I will work on some of it.

Honestly, some of it I have to disagree with you on, because I personally like the sound of it. But that's probably just because we have different ears. The piano thing I'll probably keep the same, because I am sort of looking for an artificial sound. I wasn't really attempting reality in the tone and velocity of the piano. :)

Cool, good luck! Also, I wanted to clarify what I meant by action toms and a layered clap-snare hit.

http://zirconstudios.bandcamp.com/track/coccoon-altitude

Take a listen to that at 2:20, and something similar to that type of percussion is what I mean. Maybe not quite that powerful in my depiction, but you get the idea.