Legend of Zelda Overworld Theme jazzy ReMix

Hello, once again, fellow OCR people.

As I had said before, I have really been in the mood lately to just go all at it on Zelda remixes. Well, I finally did one for the actual theme of the series, or at least the Overworld theme of the original game, as many people just like to say.

The simple story behind this was that I was just randomly playing some rather jazzy chords one day. I randomly started singing the theme melody over it, and it seemed to work. I then began to sing more of the melody and write more chords under it and I ended up doing this pretty cool jazzy arrangement.

This is a work-in-progress, and is, I think, slightly repetitive, and is not mixed at all. All reverbs and EQ stuff are just presets when I chose the instruments and I just messed with them a bit to make the tracks sound a little better.

So yeah, what do you guys think so far? P.S., may want to turn your speakers up a little. It's a little quiet because of its unmixed-ness. :D

Link: http://soundcloud.com/gwilliamson/legend-of-zelda-overworld

This is like "Toto remixes the Zelda Overworld Theme for a Mario Kart game" :mrgreen:

I love the intro, it's so groovy. I'd make another instrument play the lead, since it gets a bit drowned if played by the piano. Try with a sax or something like that, it'd sound cool.

However, the source doesn't convince me in some sections...

- 0:37: For some reason, the source feels weird here. It MAY be the G# (if I'm hearing it right) played by the piano. It also may be that I'm used to hear the backing chords decreasing from the original song, so I'm not sure.

- 0:55: The chord progression doesn't fit that well with the melody.

Other than those two small nitpicks, I love where this is going. Just keep in mind that when drastically changing the backing chords, the melody has to suffer some changes (I noticed some nicely picked changes in some notes by the way).

This is like "Toto remixes the Zelda Overworld Theme for a Mario Kart game" :mrgreen:

I love the intro, it's so groovy. I'd make another instrument play the lead, since it gets a bit drowned if played by the piano. Try with a sax or something like that, it'd sound cool.

However, the source doesn't convince me in some sections...

- 0:37: For some reason, the source feels weird here. It MAY be the G# (if I'm hearing it right) played by the piano. It also may be that I'm used to hear the backing chords decreasing from the original song, so I'm not sure.

- 0:55: The chord progression doesn't fit that well with the melody.

Other than those two small nitpicks, I love where this is going. Just keep in mind that when drastically changing the backing chords, the melody has to suffer some changes (I noticed some nicely picked changes in some notes by the way).

At 0:55, yeah, I sort of changed the melody a bit to make the chords work. At 0:37, it seems fine to me... hmmm...

That was nice to listen to :-)

jnWake has the right idea--a sax lead would really add to the jazzy atmosphere.

A nice, jazzy piano solo wouldn't hurt either.

To combat the repetitiveness, I suggest adding some down-tempo section, where everything slows down for a bit, sort of like an interlude. The resulting ABA format would help a lot.

Lastly, try to incorporate the overworld theme a bit more and a bit smoother.

The theme doesn't feel like the main course of this dinner meal, if you catch my drift.

Good work so far! Keep working on it.

Damn, this is pretty dope! I can definitely dig it. Some have suggested it already, but adding another section could break the repetitiveness a little bit, unless you were goin for that. Either way I like it =D. That synth towards the end with all that vibrato was cool.

Yeah, that synth was actually a reference to the Zelda theme, if you didn't notice. It's not very obvious.

You can try this (free) VST for now: http://www.myvst.com/vst-instruments...phone-freeware .

I haven't tried it, but the video is shows a good sound imo.

Thanks, will check it out. :) EDIT: Not sure... sounds quite a bit fake to me...