*NO* Mega Man 9 & 7 'Excalibur' *RESUB*

Emunator

• 2 weeks later...

I've only listened to this version, for the record.

The drums were kind of an awkward fit for the first minutes. Rather awkward transition to Spring Man theme chorus at 1:11. It then combined OK with Splash Woman's theme, but the segue was still very sudden, and the drums were still bland.

2:24 had a huge dropoff with an original section featuring a light Splash Woman theme cameo from 2:49-3:03. Energy went back up at 3:11 with Spring Man's theme. Really crowded soundscape (again) where the theme could barely be heard until the guitar took the lead at 3:27. The guitar's sounded OK, but I'm still surprised at what a poor fit the drums are and how the instruments aren't really clicking together texturally. I'd love more opinions on that so someone could articulate those issues better.

The ending was also weak, and the transitions weren't smooth. The arrangement's definitely very interpretive and ticks the box there, but the instrument textures didn't fit when the electric guitar was the lead, the mixing should be cleaned up, and the structure wasn't quite cohesive enough. I saw Deia mention in the previous vote that Spring Man's theme could go, and while I don't think you NEED to do that, it probably would help this one on some level.

NO (resubmit)

I agree with Larry in that i'm just not feeling the beat of the track. It feels somewhat jazzy when it should be more bold and powerful. The drums dont really drive the song, they actually make it feel less energetic somehow. Like it's a huge chore to get through it.

Even when the energy picks up at 3:11, the bass is playing a different pattern than the drums, and it is less effective than it could be, and isn't clicking. The guitars and bass sound a lot more on as far as performance, but the dragging drums are even more prominent now.

I think re-doing the drums do be more energetic would be good, and easing up on the compressor a bit.

No, please resubmit

Some nice ideas and mood here, I liked what you brought to the table. The execution fell flat primarily because of the washed-out drums and unbalanced mixing. I also agree that the energy level dropped a lot during the middle section but with better production and detailed sequencing, this might not have been an issue. I think you'll need to spend a little more time on refining what you have.

NO (resubmit)