Dynamite Headdy - Tower of Puppets

Kumori

Hello everyone!

I'm currently working on an arrangement of one of my all-time favorite tracks from any videogame, which happens to be included in a little piece of art from 1994 called Dynamite Headdy for the Sega Genesis (by Treasure, what else needs to be said).

This is what the original sounded like:

http://youtu.be/aGSThT6CYMM

And this is my initial take on it:

https://www.box.com/s/d9c97d03f16898ec9f9c

It's still in an early stage but I already recreated most part of the main melody and still staying faithful to the original. Drums are looped, a proper intro is missing, tons of details here and there and so on but I like how it's sounding so far, so I'm probably going to keep working on it and post it back here once it's finished. :-)

A bit of feedback is always appreciated and useful though, so if you have any comment about how great Treasure are, why did they leave Konami or even about this arrangement here, I'd be delighted to listen ;-)

Thanks for listening and hope you enjoy!

What's up Kumori? Been a while since those cool Ragnacenty mixes you did. :wink:

A bit of feedback is always appreciated and useful though

Allright, so far it seems you're going for the same kind of interpretation, that's to say you're sticking close to the source material.

It's roughly the same instrument palette too, which fits the happy feel of Tower of Puppet ...which always reminded me of the Rafflesia Training Grounds.

So I guess it's a logical follow up to your previous work. ;P

The thing that strikes me as problematic right now is the bright stab/hit that enters at 0:13 and continue playing the accents until 0:26. It's overpowering most of the instrumentation and really sticks out like a sore thumb. Aside from that, it's still more of a cover than a proper re-arrangement. I'd say you tend to make updates/upgrades of existing songs rather than ReMixes, because you're not putting enough personalization into the arrangement. Though if you're shooting for a straight cover, by any means, continue doing your thing as it's enjoyable nonetheless. :)

my all-time favorite tracks from any videogame, which happens to be included in a little piece of art from 1994 called Dynamite Headdy.

[...] if you have any comment about how great Treasure are, why did they leave Konami [...]I'd be delighted to listen ;-)

With folks from around the VGM community we've made a tribute album to Dynamite Headdy called Secret Bonus Point. Might interest you. ;)

And as my sig shows, there's yet another fan album for a great Treasure game in the works, this time involving mostly OCR folks.

Maegawa & co. left Konami cause they were tired of making endless sequels, and wanted to create unique gaming experiences that challenge the norm.

It's safe to say by now that they've succeeded in that regard, and I hope you'll succeed in making your remix unique as well. Have fun and good luck. :grin:

Hey there! :-) Thanks for your feedback!

You're right... as I keep listening more and more to what I got so far, that piano annoys me more and more.. I'll work on that :-)

As far as sticking close to the source, yeah, for starters I always try reproducing the main melodies that stick out to me and make me recognize the original, but I might add some more personalization once I got the basics covered, which takes me a while not knowing how to play an instrument ;-)

Thanks for taking your time to listen and comment and for pointing out that Dinamyte Headdy album... very appropriately titled btw ;-) I'll sure take my time to listen and I'll look forward to that other project you mention ;-)

Thanks again! :-D