djpretzel

Name: Joseph Hitzke aka "Snooper_1989"

Email: snooper1989@gmail.com

User ID: 22421 (Not entirely sure)

Game: Halo 2

Song: Theme (Mjolnir Mix)

Composer: Marty O'Donnel & Michael Salvatori

System: XBOX

I've always been a fan of Matry O'Donnels music ever since I heard the Halo 1 music and thought, gee this is awesome. So i've always wanted to do a remix but didn't think I could improve on it. Although this song does deviate from the original style of the music it's my interpretation of another way to hear the song, it took me 6 months to finish and there are vocal samples in it from myself.

I hope you guys enjoy the song.

MP3: http://forome.net/snooper_1989/HALO2/Snooper_1989_-_The_Experiment(OCRSubmit).mp3

~Snooper_1989~

[Link to ReMix left up by artists request.]

HALO 2 Original Soundtrack and New Music Volume One - 01 "Halo Theme Mjolnir Mix"

Intro is pretty weak, with some fakey piano and VERY tepid drumloops being brought in. Everything sounds too quiet and flat. Track lacks energy, even when things are first supposed to get "heavy" at :53, as there's no real texture, body or realism with the instrumentation.

Not a bad idea for the vox at 1:09, before briefly going for a gentler atmosphere from 1:19-1:30. Another guitar section until 1:52, with drums and acoustic guitar and strings joining in at 2:02 for a fairly decent idea on paper.

The arrangement is fairly good and shows promise, but the instrumentation isn't up to the task. There's no energy here and tons of empty space. You really need a lot more practice and experience under your belt to fully realize an idea like this, but I like the direction you're going in, Joe. Keep using the ReMixing & Works forum to get more criticism and suggestions on how to improve.

NO

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As the newly departed Wingless said, this mix is suffering from some really bizarre instrument choices. It doesn't sound too bad to start with. The organ's playing the chords in particular sound nice.

The drum beat is a problem though, it's just... there. It doesn't really add anything to the overall sound of the mix, doesn't build up, it's the same basic bland groove.

The guitar (I think it's guitar) sounds really badly distorted, to a not enjoyable level, very dry and basic. The chants at 1:12 sounded out of key when compared to the rest of the mix. The piano around 2:00 was a nice touch.

This is a step up from what I'm used to hearing from you, Snooper. The arrangement is a lot more complex and flowing. You're in the right direction in getting the sounds together. Keep it up.

NO