*NO* Alex Kidd 'The Great Yanken'

djpretzel

Hey there!

You may have a duplicate of this message, but I was not given any notification of the receipt.. so I’m resending the email in case.

Anyway, I have just completed my take on the music from Alex Kidd I.M.W, and the link should be found further down the page.

The main difference between the original and my own is the bar extension, each part now runs over two bars… with the main melody simplified with a more euphoric slant. Wishing to keep with the bouncy cheesy aspect, I chose to go with a mid 90s style, dance pianos “dum-di-di” basses and such… and whilst these would initially ring alarm bells, I’ve worked at them to ensure a pleasing outcome rather than a shoddy one.

I hope the remix is at the standard you wish for the site, and I believe the bouncy dance style befits the original track nicely.

The link to the track (uploading courtesy of my mate James, and yes I spelt it wrong in the URL) is:

Thanks for listening!

Sean Craddock

(aka.OCReMixer… “Procyon”

(sean@twunted.com)

http://www.zophar.net/vgm/alexkimw.zip - "Normal"

Beyond the intro, any overt usage of the source material was relegated to the back, so look for it elsewhere in the piano. Given the mix title, I listened to "Janken", figuring that was arranged instead/also, but I didn't hear it here.

The piano coming in at 1:08 was a very liberal-sounding yet simplified take on the source material. Almost too liberal honestly, though I hear the connection. The piano sample itself was pretty poorly used; even playing such simple parts, it was still very mechanical-sounding.

The sounds are very basic and the soundfield is muddy with reverb and too much stuff attempting to co-exist in the low-end. The production is pretty cruddy, IMO. No clarity whatsoever, plus the arrangement tended to drag after the halfway point. Very basically constructed the whole way through. Too bad. The sub letter alludes to the fact that the effort was genuinely there.

NO

• 3 weeks later...

This game was released when I was 2. Wow. On to the mix.

K, you've taken the melody, simplified it and stretched it out for several minutes over a typical four-on-the-floor house beat. Sure you've laid it over a new chord progression, but after about 3 minutes the novelty wears off.

There's some good ideas in this mix, but you're saying way too little over waaaaay too much time.

NO.