DragonAvenger

Original decision

• Patrick Burns
• resub: 
• old sub for comparison: 
• source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF43R2BcHDM
• game song name: Happy Town
• game: Golden Sun
• NEW title: "Village Beautification in 5/4" (replacing Chimeras Need Not Apply)

There isn't a single big change here -- lots of little articulations, massaging, editing, syncopating, harmonizing, mixing, enoxification, etc. Hopefully the first part sounds more personalized this time around -- overall it feels more interesting faster. The 40 seconds at 1:30 are still the most cover-ish, but they've gotten a little help.

• 2 weeks later...

I was the lone dissenting YES on this track last time around, so I can quote myself here and it'll all still pretty much work:

I really enjoyed this to the point that I find it so endearing I'm willing to forgive the fact that it's obviously not sequenced realistically, and is somewhat of a cover. The JRPG soundtrack vibe is extremely strong, and I'd argue that the lack of dynamics in the sequencing could easily be viewed as a deliberate stylistic choice. The samples themselves are pretty high quality and the whole song sounds very nicely-produced. I particularly love the panflute, that sounds absolutely ethereal and gorgeous!

Your arrangement starts off sounding almost identical to the original, but fortunately your writing is a lot more expansive, and you find little ways to make it your own as the song plays out. I don't have any problem with that aspect of this mix.

This is definitely an unconventional style that we don't see on OCR very often, but I invite the rest of the judges to compare this to some of Darkesword's posted mixes (that's 3 separate links) that also utilize that unique JRPG soundtrack feel, and I think you'll find that they're very similar in style, production quality, sequencing, and overall enjoyability.

This is an awesome mix that I can't get enough of, and I don't think that more realistically-sequenced instruments would necessarily make it any better in the end. The way they're currently written gives this mix a great deal of its charm.

I love what you've done here Patrick, this is staying on my playlist whether this passes or not

All of that still applies, except now that the song is even stronger and more interpretive, you can pretty much strike out all the hesitation from that vote!

This is one of my favorite remixes I've heard since I started judging, you capture the essence of Golden Sun and JRPG soundtracks in general so perfectly, and you convey the sunny, breezy disposition of the source with so much heart. I want this kind of music playing when I wake up every morning! :-D

Your fixes on this resub address pretty much every concern that was present with the original submission without sacrificing any of your original intent. I'm so glad you revisited this.

HELL YES

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Huge fan of your work, Patrick, but I didn't get to hear the last rejected version of this. This version however is an easy YES. The nuance with which you sequence is incredible, and you really bring life to instruments that could sound flat otherwise. Even though the arrangement is mostly an augmentation, the level of detail brings a lot to the table. The instrument dropouts and fadeouts sound very natural. A very playful song that brought a big smile to my face.

YES

• 3 weeks later...

wow, the extra work put into this really is audible.

I really enjoyed the textures and strong use of dynamics to make it exciting and engaging. One thing that many games from back in the day lack is dynamics, and the attention paid to them here gives the mix another level to appreciate. You know you are doing a good job when your listener hears the first adecrescendo and assumes the song is ending "aww, it's over already?", and then a crescendo back into the second half. Great followup on this, it's awesome. :-)

Yes