MegaMan Star Force: 'The Hubris Let Loose!' (V2) (Andromeda Battle DnB Remix)

timaeus222

I wrote this for a very specific purpose: to make my 1337th Youtube video badass. xD No, seriously. Anyways:

Remix: https://www.box.com/s/n6s730lcl7fk3cwy15at - V1

Source:

I finished this in 8 hours with breaks, and I really like how it turned out. I made half the non-percussion instrument patches myself in Zebra2 (including the strings lead patch!). ;)

This is my first DnB remix evar. Oh, and there is no MIDI of this source anywhere, so I did it all by ear. :D

It's not intended to be OCR-level, but I still added some variations to keep it interesting, and of course, I paid extra close attention to EQ, dynamics, etc.

Wow, great track T! Really exciting! And I love the different kinds of leads you used, keeps it interesting throughout. I would not call this DnB... I'm terrible at genres so I can't place it, but it's very fast and cool.

There is a dissonant thingy at 1:19 that I don't care for, maybe that could be altered just slightly, writing wise.

My main problem with this track (and many of your tracks) is that you are very conservative in the low end. That bass is badass... but needs some extra oomph. You've gotta be careful though, too much can lead to mud... but I would totally add a subtle sub-bass, just cut it off at around 25-30Hz sharply (steeply). Not too long a release on it, but enough to give it that "knock me back in my chair" feeling I'm looking for. Same goes for your kick drum, it's very tame. It's got a great click, but not a lot of low end... maybe it shouldn't be as low as your bass, but it could go a little lower. I can't tell if you've sidechained, and I'm not sure that would work with that many kick hits, if you do sidechain, just do the primary kick hits (the ones on beat). Or not.

Your snare has a great sound but sounds a bit mechanical, writing wise. Maybe just a few more velocity variations, especially on the fills.

Really great, exciting track, I like it a lot!

edit: I just downloaded the track and looked on SPAN... it looks like you've cut off the frequencies above 18.5kHz which is probably a very good idea with all that high end stuff going on! (high end sounds fine) And your low end does go down to 20Hz but slopes upward conservatively... I'd say just bring in a bit more in the 30-80Hz range and I'd be happy! (and cut everything below 25Hz sharply)

Wow, great track T! Really exciting! And I love the different kinds of leads you used, keeps it interesting throughout. I would not call this DnB... I'm terrible at genres so I can't place it, but it's very fast and cool.

Just to clarify, DnB is defined with really quick drums that have action-heavy fills, plus a really powerful bass. ;)

My main problem with this track (and many of your tracks) is that you are very conservative in the low end. That bass is badass... but needs some extra oomph. You've gotta be careful though, too much can lead to mud... but I would totally add a subtle sub-bass, just cut it off at around 25-30Hz sharply (steeply). Not too long a release on it, but enough to give it that "knock me back in my chair" feeling I'm looking for. Same goes for your kick drum, it's very tame. It's got a great click, but not a lot of low end... maybe it shouldn't be as low as your bass, but it could go a little lower. I can't tell if you've sidechained, and I'm not sure that would work with that many kick hits, if you do sidechain, just do the primary kick hits (the ones on beat). Or not.

True, there should be a bit more low end to the bass. I did sidechain though! :) But oddly enough, I sent it to a different mixer track for a later drum timbre variation and that nullified the sidechaining. xD Whoops.

Your snare has a great sound but sounds a bit mechanical, writing wise. Maybe just a few more velocity variations, especially on the fills.

Sure, why not? xD

Okay! I've fixed the dissonance at 1:19 (very quick and ephemeral but I'm surprised you noticed. xD), fixed/improved the bass (frequencies and pitch envelope), some fills, (velocities) the kick (punch), snare (volume), the first PWM lead (envelope sustain), and added some note variations to the formant-like lead at 1:30. :D

I'd say it's completely ready for that video. ;D

https://www.box.com/s/uy3b3hjhb8dt6ydlqytl - V2

https://www.box.com/s/n6s730lcl7fk3cwy15at - V1

Source:

Wow, better!!! I like the bass much better now, and the kick too. You didn't overdo it, I'm glad, just gave it that extra oomph. Nice!

That dissonance at 1:19 is still there, it is the writing I was referring to, those six notes, they are just kinda, weird. I don't have the words to describe what I don't like about it (don't know music theory), but somehow that part just doesn't flow for me. If you'd like, I can ask a friend who is great at theory and composition to help explain why that doesn't work. But this being said, it is a nitpick and not terrible.

Snare sounds more natural now. Nice job overall. My son wants me to download this and put it on his sd card on his ds. He only asks for that on really cool songs. 8-)

Wow, better!!! I like the bass much better now, and the kick too. You didn't overdo it, I'm glad, just gave it that extra oomph. Nice!

That dissonance at 1:19 is still there, it is the writing I was referring to, those six notes, they are just kinda, weird. I don't have the words to describe what I don't like about it (don't know music theory), but somehow that part just doesn't flow for me. If you'd like, I can ask a friend who is great at theory and composition to help explain why that doesn't work. But this being said, it is a nitpick and not terrible.

Snare sounds more natural now. Nice job overall. My son wants me to download this and put it on his sd card on his ds. He only asks for that on really cool songs. 8-)

Oh, I see; I thought you happened to notice the major second moving into the major third that lasted for like half a second at 1:19. That would have been unbelievable. :P Well, for some reason, those notes are symbolic of the Mega Man Battle Network and Star Force series; they apparently denote pressure and tension. After all, this is the final battle to save the world from Andromeda, a space-themed war engine with the power to destroy planets. xD

Cool, thank you for the feedback, and woah, you have a son. :o

Oh, I see; I thought you happened to notice the major second moving into the major third that lasted for like half a second at 1:19. That would have been unbelievable. :P Well, for some reason, those notes are symbolic of the Mega Man Battle Network and Star Force series; they apparently denote pressure and tension. After all, this is the final battle to save the world from Andromeda, a space-themed war engine with the power to destroy planets. xD

Cool, thank you for the feedback! :D

Yeah, after I posted I thought probably that little progression was game specific... guess it's ok! So, this song gets my vote. Nice job. :-)