OUT OF TIME: Chronological Woods (OOT/CHRONO TRIGGER)

ultraconsole

Pretty clever how you tied these two sources to each other.

One thing I would watch out for is note disagreement-- there's a fair amount of it throughout the song. What I mean is, it sounds like you have two harp parts going at the same time (or sometimes harp and piano), and they don't always agree on what key/scale they're in, so you end up with Minor 2nds where you probably don't want them... these dissonant intervals sound a little prickly in an otherwise soothing song. If your DAW allows you to lay the parts side by side, or overlay one on top of the other, that should make it easier to spot the disagreements visually, if you're having trouble hearing them.

Otherwise, I like what you've got going on here. Both sources are recognizable, yet interwoven well enough so that I don't feel like I'm ping-ponging back and forth between them. Specifically, I like how you start with OoT's melodic line playing on top of Chrono Trigger's ostinato; when you're able to blend things together like that (rather than just jumping between melodies), then you wind up with an interesting pairing that's not just another medley.

Thank you so much for the advice, I will be sure to go back and fiddle with it later, and possibly make an extended version while I am at it.

Note disagreement is tough to correct when trying to keep the melodies as close to their originals as possible, but I will play with it!

Thanks for giving my song a listen! I hope to be able to post more and more stuff!

Thank you so much for the advice, I will be sure to go back and fiddle with it later, and possibly make an extended version while I am at it.

Note disagreement is tough to correct when trying to keep the melodies as close to their originals as possible, but I will play with it!

Thanks for giving my song a listen! I hope to be able to post more and more stuff!

Actually, the aim is not to be "true to the original". The aim is to take the source and use it in a creative way, keeping it recognizable but still sufficiently interpretive. ;)

There are some heavy dissonances in many parts of the song. The idea is very nice and works on the intro, but stops working after it.

Try to transpose the Lost Woods melodies into whatever tone the Chrono Trigger song is. Altering the key of a melody, while changing the mood a bit sometimes, keeps the feeling of the original and is a nice way to make different songs fit well together.