OCR02683 - *YES* Silent Hill 2 'Halo of the Sun'

DragonAvenger

D.L. Infamous

Jake Simons

www.soundcloud.com/dlinfamous

Silent Hill 2: Restless Dreams

"Halo of the Sun"

"Promise (Reprise)"

Song composed by Akira Yamaoka, was released on Ps2 Consol.

http://www.silenthillmemories.net/music/sh2_osts_en.htm

I personally love this track "Promise (Reprise)" from the Soundtrack! I first played this game at a very young age and I was immediately mesmerized by the music. Silent Hill 2 is my favorite game of all time. Most of my music has a hint of Akira to it. I own all the Soundtracks of the series. As well as a lot of memorabilia. This song captures the true essence of the emotion that James and Angela feel when they encounter each other in the Apartment Building. I created this track with my Fantom X8! I was all created within the this workstation. I stayed true to the melody which is now the most recognized song in the series. I applied my own sounds of chaos, macabre, and industrials at the beginning that reminisce of the more dark tracks Akira created. Than, it opens up into the that famous piano melody and atmospherics that create a feeling a space after the intro. Very complex drum patterns, unique sounds and synths are added and taken out through the song, then ending it with the beautiful piano melody by its self with little atmospherics and a heavy bass melody. THIS SONG WAS ACTUALLY FEATURED ON THE OFFICIAL SILENT HILL FACEBOOK PAGE 3 MONTHS AGO AND RECEIVED OVER 10,000 LISTENS WITHIN A WEEK AND OVER 3,600 LIKES! The song is featured on my SoundCloud account with shows how many plays I received as well as positive criticism! I played every single beat, percussion, melody, synth, piano, bass, and sounds that are featured on this track by hand and the ivories. Everything was MADE FROM SCRATCH by hand. Please, enjoy and I hope to hear back from you!

-Jake (D.L.)

----------

Really interesting approach you've got here. Taking mostly-acoustic drum samples but sequencing them in the way that you'd normally treat electronic drums produces a pretty interesting result. I have to say that overall, I think your drums are mixed too loud in this mix and they tend to overpower whatever else is going on.

That said, I'm really enjoying the track as a whole. It's melodically conservative but you do a pretty solid job of building up the rest of the track around that classic piano motif from the source. Your production, aside from the drum mixing nitpicks, is pretty great, and your sound design artfully brings out the feelings of discomfort and unease that everyone who has played Silent Hill should be familiar with. The mood created when the mix slowly drops out to solo piano, and then you bring in the original chord progression, is sublime.

Overall, I'm finding a lot to like about this remix, and despite the loud drums and slightly-conservative nature, I'd say it's deserving of the accolades it's gotten outside of OCR and should ultimately be a welcome addition to our catalog, as well.

YES

• 5 weeks later...

Definitely an interesting track that is something that's a little more on the chill side, despite the pretty expansive and varied drums. Overall I'd say I'm pretty close to Wes's opinion. I'd have liked some more variation in the soundscape; the sounds are pretty consistent along with the tempo and dynamic level. Some more drastic changes would have added more interest level to the track. I'd say in the end that this passes the bar, and people will dig listening to it.

YES(borderline)

Certainly interesting in that almost all the interpretation here is augmentation, and most of it fairly subtle. You can basically still hear the original song in this. Well, until the ending that is, when it takes a decidedly left turn. I think this is a pretty hard call! Your sound design is awesome, no doubt, but the ending with just the solo piano felt a little stiff and dry for me, and some extra humanization would have really sold it. I think I'm actually go ahead and co-sign Deia's borderline YES. This skirts the arrangement and production line for me, but falls just on the passing side of both. I can see why this got featured on the FB page, because it's certainly a creative take. Happily, I think it fits on OCR too.

YES (borderline)

• 3 weeks later...

I do think the drums are a touch too prominent, but it's so minor for me (as in 1.5db), that it's definitely good to go as-is.

The augmentation to the track gives a unique spin on the classic theme, and while it plays it really close to the source I feel that enough has been done to tip it over the bar. Production sounded good, though it was mentioned a bit of humanization would help the ending. Overall a good track that achieves it's goal pretty well.

Also cool that you were featured by the Silent Hill page. Get this guy on iTunes!

Yes