*NO* The Sims 2 'Playground'

DragonAvenger

Wazzup u guyz? :D Guifrog's now (literally) playing with Mexico this time.

Just so you know, I was truly amazed by the success of Musicolours, which covered sources from both The Sims 1 and 3! That said, why not have a ride with The Sims 2 as well? Here's some facts:

GAME: The Sims 2

SOURCE: Bare Bones (

)

REMIX NAME & LINK: Playground

You guys remember when you played those very common childhood games? IIRC, I had two favorites: tag and hide-and-seek. Must say, though, I still play some of those games when I get the chance XD! I do have (and make) some little friends, y'know :P.

So, this mix is about those games, and I structured it like this:

0:00-0:30 -> Ring-Around-the-Rosie. Not exactly the folk song, but the game's idea.

0:31-0:46 -> Mimic. Guess which animal the timbale's mimicking? ;D

0:47-0:57 -> Don't ask me why, but I named it "volleyball" :P

0:58-1:09 -> Jump rope as the rhythm goes!

1:10-1:33 -> Cuica? Conga? Definitely Monkey-in-the-Middle!

1:34-1:44 -> Dodgeball's one crazy game, just experiment with plenty of people and more than one ball!

1:45-2:07 -> Such a mystery... Which means, Hide-and-Seek... What if...

2:08-2:31 -> ...It turns into Tag?!

2:32-2:42 -> There's a moment where we all get tired from it, so we play "Take-a-Rest" or something. BUT...

2:43-3:09 -> ...Children have absurd levels of energy, and there we go again 'til the end of the day!

Can you tell I had lots of fun doing this one? ^^ Hope you have a fun listen as well!

Welp, I think we've found my tipping point when it comes to your samples, Gui :-( This arrangement is so amazing, as always, and it comes bursting at the seams with creative energy and inspiration, but dayum those trumpets don't sound good at all when they're in ensemble mode. The toughest part is that it's abundantly clear that you put a ton of effort into sequencing the instruments... there's tons of articulation on the trumpets throughout, and when they're playing solo it sounds alright, but for some reason the sample you're using sounds grating on the ears when there's multiple ones layered on top of each other at the same time.

Not sure how to approach this, it's an otherwise-fantastic arrangement but this time, that one element is really killing it for me. It's a little less rough on repeat listens, but I think I'm still veering towards a NO for this one.

Really curious to hear what everyone else thinks.

NO

• 1 month later...

Yeah, kinda gotta go with Emu on this. For a song featuring trumpets as realistic instruments, this doesn't quite deliver. I didn't find the samples annoying, but I also didn't think they sounded real enough. I'm sure that must be frustrating to hear, because I hear a lot of detail in the sequencing. Honestly, the mixing was a little bit of an issue all over - song was a little empty, some instruments were too dry - so it's possible in a more full production, I wouldn't be hearing those issues. Also thought that the attention to sequencing on the trumpets should have spilled over to the percussive instruments. The marimba-sounding instrument and the drums were somewhat basic.

Sorry friend, not gonna happen this time for me.

NO (resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...