Pokemon Gold/Silver & Ruby/Sapphire - Pachelbel's Goldenrod Museum

Ihsman07

Hey. It's been a while since I've put anything up here. Nice to get back into the rhythm of things again. Anyway, this song is an orchestral remix combining Pachelbel's Canon in D with Goldenrod City from Pokemon Gold/Silver as well as Oceanic Museum from Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire. I made this a long time ago with more bells than anything and I made many changes to it to come up with what I have now. I hope you guys enjoy it. I'm wondering it I should upload this onto OCRemix. Let me know!

Pachelbel's Goldenrod Museum

I'm not on my good headphones now, but I can tell you other things.

I like the touch you put with Goldenrod's theme. It works pretty seamlessly with Pachelbel.

Some compression issues, though. i.e. At 1:57, the lead is too soft and the arpeggio flute is too loud. Make sure to raise the volume until you first hear it enough.

At 2:08, things start becoming more conservative; that was basically verbatim Pachelbel, actually. Try to be more creative, like you were in the intro. You had it going for a while there.

At 2:40, you could even say it's the Abandoned Ship theme. In fact, if you say that, it would appear to be more impressive. xD

Overall, the piece feels a bit simple. It looks like the majority of the piece has the same feel. Try changing the mood up a little. 1:58 was getting interesting, but that was a little long to get there. Maybe you could bring in more instruments to introduce a new soundscape but still keep the atmosphere you were going for with your other instruments.

I think you can personalize this way more. Keep working on it!

Mmm... this is quite a pleasant, pleasing remix. I love the combination of Pachelbel's Cannon with the source-- this is a great concept and I think you should keep running with it.

I have to agree with timaues' concerns about the full-on Pachebel theme towards the middle of the song though. The build-up, instrumentation, passing the melody and counter melodies between the winds, and everything is great during this section, but I would steer away from overtly quoting that melody. Also, I'm not certain that kind of thing would get past OCR's judging process, if that's your aim; the Pachelbel chord progression is totally fine, but doing a complete shift away from the video game source into a remix of something non-VG (at the climax of the song, no less) is probably pushing it.

Production-wise and sample-wise, the orchestra is pleasant enough for me. The woodwinds are stronger than the strings, imo, which is good since they often carry the melody and are relatively exposed out in front of the strings. Really, it's nigh impossible to make 100% real-sounding orchestral music without recording the real deal, so there's always room for improvement here. But I think this is really good and doesn't need much tinkering, with one exception: the synthy string melody at 2:51. That one sort of ruins the illusion for me. It's a fine idea, writing-wise, but the sound needs some tweaking to reach the standard you've set with the rest of the song.

Lastly, the second half of the song after 2:30 feels a bit meandering to me. I don't have an issue with any of the individual sections (on their own, they're written nicely and sound great), but in terms of overall song structure, it feels like we're on a bell curve, with the climax right in the middle. It's not necessarily "wrong" to structure your song like that (and there are some cases where it's really effective), but I think in this case it lessens the impact of the sections which follow the climax, because the song never quite matches that level of energy again, pleasing as it is to listen to.

This is really good work. I spend a lot of time in this post nit-picking and talking about improvements, but it's not indicative of my over all impression of your remix. Over all, this is great and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Thank you for sharing!

Mmm... this is quite a pleasant, pleasing remix. I love the combination of Pachelbel's Cannon with the source-- this is a great concept and I think you should keep running with it.

I have to agree with timaues' concerns about the full-on Pachebel theme towards the middle of the song though. The build-up, instrumentation, passing the melody and counter melodies between the winds, and everything is great during this section, but I would steer away from overtly quoting that melody. Also, I'm not certain that kind of thing would get past OCR's judging process, if that's your aim; the Pachelbel chord progression is totally fine, but doing a complete shift away from the video game source into a remix of something non-VG (at the climax of the song, no less) is probably pushing it.

Production-wise and sample-wise, the orchestra is pleasant enough for me. The woodwinds are stronger than the strings, imo, which is good since they often carry the melody and are relatively exposed out in front of the strings. Really, it's nigh impossible to make 100% real-sounding orchestral music without recording the real deal, so there's always room for improvement here. But I think this is really good and doesn't need much tinkering, with one exception: the synthy string melody at 2:51. That one sort of ruins the illusion for me. It's a fine idea, writing-wise, but the sound needs some tweaking to reach the standard you've set with the rest of the song.

Lastly, the second half of the song after 2:30 feels a bit meandering to me. I don't have an issue with any of the individual sections (on their own, they're written nicely and sound great), but in terms of overall song structure, it feels like we're on a bell curve, with the climax right in the middle. It's not necessarily "wrong" to structure your song like that (and there are some cases where it's really effective), but I think in this case it lessens the impact of the sections which follow the climax, because the song never quite matches that level of energy again, pleasing as it is to listen to.

This is really good work. I spend a lot of time in this post nit-picking and talking about improvements, but it's not indicative of my over all impression of your remix. Over all, this is great and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Thank you for sharing!

I really appreciate your input of both constructive and complimenting words. I understand what you mean on the bell curve and you might be right. I'm not the greatest when it comes to quality despite being able to compose really well. Though with the song how it is, I believe it's still more than enough to have many people enjoy it thoroughly as a hole so if I do tinker with it, it won't be anything drastic except perhaps changing something in the Pachelbel portion in the middle when it comes in, perhaps change up the second half with my own idea, or maybe through another Goldenrod bit in there. I don't know yet :P

Listening on my good headphones, I personally don't notice anything too out there, but that's just because I'm not an orchestral person. I don't think I hear anything weird with EQ or clarity though.

So does your earlier statement still stand or did your good headphones change everything? XD

Though I do believe you're right where the flute arpeggio was a bit on the loud side so I'll definitely tone that down and made add my own flare again when the Pachelbel part comes in after Goldenrod city. And does the Sunken Ship really have the same song? I haven't played R/S in a long time XD

So does your earlier statement still stand or did your good headphones change everything? XD

Though I do believe you're right where the flute arpeggio was a bit on the loud side so I'll definitely tone that down and made add my own flair again when the Pachelbel part comes in after Goldenrod city. And does the Sunken Ship really have the same song? I haven't played R/S in a long time XD

Yeah, I still stand by what I said earlier; I just don't have critiques I can really say on EQ and balance for this song. xD

Er... I didn't mean to say Sunken Ship. I meant S.S. Anne from RBY. xD (Read the top comments!)

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, I still stand by what I said earlier; I just don't have critiques I can really say on EQ and balance for this song. xD

Er... I didn't mean to say Sunken Ship. I meant S.S. Anne from RBY. xD (Read the top comments!)

Ah ok. Well, the actual title of the song is Oceanic Museum which is why I said that. But indeed, it is played on the S.S. Anne :)