07 - Guilty.MID

Hello

Contact Info

Your ReMixer name : Nurykabe

Your email address : Nurykabe@hotmail.com

Your userid (number, not name) on our forums : 18789

ReMix Info

Name of game(s) ReMixed : Guilty

Additional information about game if it has not yet been added to the site, including composer, system, etc.

Original composer : Ian McCue

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.mirsoft.info/wogm_download.php?data=YTozOntpOjA7czo0OiIxODUwIjtpOjE7aToxMTM0NTk5NjkxO2k6MjtpOjM7fQ== - 07 - Guilty.MID

The source tune is just one variation of many. Check out 03 & 06 for others.

Production is a little flat and very muddy on this. The bass is pretty thick, which is pimp. Some loud beats kicked in at 1:25 which I was liking though again the whole things seems to lack sharpness. Meanwhile there were some piercing frequencies all over this (3:31, among many other examples all around the track), and a lot of the instrumentation mudded together.

The samples themselves aren't particularly strong, but were used very well, in my opinion. I also felt the writing/arrangement was handled excellently. On little things, I really liked whatever sound effect was used to start and end the track. With the bigger picture, I thought the arrangement developed excellently.

Man, if you could separate the sounds and get them sounding more distinct and sharp, AND get rid of some of these piercing frequencies, I'd be all over this. The arrangement itself is a YES, and I'm keeping the track. Unfortunately, the production is drastically holding this one back, which is a shame. I hope the language barrier doesn't prevent Nurykabe from being able to work on cleaning this up and resubmitting it.

NO (refine/resubmit)

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with larry about the muddy issues. I don't think it's a huge problem though. I don't agree with the assesment that the samples are weak. They're fine, and the huge reverb is awesome, but some tweaking can work to the mixes benefit. The arrangement is hot.

Drums/perc do need to be brought up, it sounds like you're using pitch shifting or other heavy effects processing on them. Thus they do lose some of their transient power during that processing. If you have any transient modification tools that is one option. Another is to layer these same elements with the same unprocessed signal at a lower level just to give it back that attack.

I think you can lower the reverb slightly, and do some eqing to make space for the everpresent lower end here to give it some more space. The piano is a good example of mud. It's all middle range. I'd like to see some EQ work done there at the 1k, 5-8k and 10 k ranges to give it a little more shimmer, just a little...

Love all the percussive stuff overall too. I'm very tempted to YES this as it is, but I'd like some tweaks done first to push me off the fence.

Please resubmit, very borderline NO.