Real Name - Dan Freeman

Email -

Website - http://www.youtube.com/user/DanAndromedaMusic

Userid - 49218

SUBMISSION INFORMATION

Name of Game Arranged - Metroid Prime 2: Echoes

Name of Arrangement - Awake In Torvus

Name of Individual song - Torvus Bog

Own Comments - I decided that I would do a remix from Metroid, which is my favourite game series, as my first submission to OverClocked Remix. I thought about potential songs that I could arrange, and Torvus Bog seemed the one that I favoured most. I called it "Awake in Torvus," due to the fact that I had dream about the place. I decided to stick to my Ambient roots, using Logic Pro 8 over the space of a week. I started by playing the song by ear on piano, creating some interesting sub melodies by improvising, after that I moved production over to my Mac. During the break down brief elements of Ice Vally can be heard, I played this on the piano. Overall I am quite pleased on how the remix turned out, but I will leave it to you to decide if it is worthy of a place on OCR.

Word-up to a fellow piano-improviser! :-D Really promising material here, your arrangement is really nice and after reading about the process you used to make the track, it makes a lot of sense how you came to this. Your harmonies and countermelodies are absolutely gorgeous, and the production on the track isn't bad either! Reminds me of reaaally early stuff from the likes of Blue Magic, The Wingless, or Sephfire, which is just about the highest order of compliment that I can offer.

Your sequencing could still use some work though, though. The flute/oboe lead parts utilize some pretty weak samples, and the attack/decay sounds awkward the way the melody is sequenced. I think the instrument choice is great, but you need to be using a higher-quality sample with more expressive, humanized sequencing. The leads are definitely the weakest link in the track, and replacing them is definitely critical to this track passing, in my opinion.

Production-wise, sometimes all of the instruments aren't syncing up right. About 2/3rds through the track, there's a section with a lot of off-beat patterns that, while ambitious, doesn't seem to click exactly right. I think a lot of it might have to do with your delay, which sometimes trails on for too long on the off-beats and creates some awkwardness. Maybe look at adjusting the decay/release on your delay plugin and see if that helps.

Lastly, I'm hearing a lot of imbalance in the mixing when I listen on headphones. I think there are some hard-panned percussion instruments that are pushed too far to one side, particularly the white noise filter you've got pushed to the left ear, which is pretty distracting :-(

Lots of great material here, and for a first-submitter you demonstrate a lot of potential and style. I think this needs some refinement before it hits the front page though. Hit me up if you need any additional help, I'm particularly fond of this arrangement and I want to see it passed eventually if this ends up getting rejected this time around.

NO (resubmit!)

• 1 month later...

Emu's got some great crits, and I'd like to add a couple of things. Your main melody instruments sound somewhat mechanical, and it sticks out compared to the rest of the backing track. I'd love to hear the leads be more emotive which would really bring out some good character. Along with that I'm noticing some of your countermelodies (which are really nice) are a muddied by the reverb. I do like the dreamy texture you have going on here, but I think toning it down to get a better balance on the clarity would be good. Lastly, I will definitely second the rhythms towards the end not quite matching well and throwing things off.

As Emu also said, this has a ton of promise and was great to listen to. I don't think it's there yet in terms of production, but it's well on it's way, and I'm looking forward to hearing this again.

NO (resubmit)

I agree pretty much in that it's a cool arrangement idea, but the production isn't quite there. The main issue for me is the lack of expression in the lead instrument. Some additional modulation, a little more volume, and possibly a more expressive sample would help out a good deal.

This is a good foundation, and a lot of the song is really working for me, but some additional polish would help this out. Wes and Deia's crits are pretty good too, so I think you have plenty of direction to make this even better! :-)

No, please resubmit