AARRGH! Can't eliminate fuzz sound!

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/81603940/Bane%20of%20my%20Existence%21.wav

Turn volume way up when you listen to that. Do you hear that fuzzy sound? I just recorded a clean part with that exact same sound and setup 5 days before and it came out crystal clear. I've checked all the connections and can't figure out what is causing the sound. Any ideas?

If I do any of the following, the sound gets quieter or disappears completely.

-cover the strings with my hands. (can't do that while playing though)

-touch the effects pedal. (Doesn't matter what part you touch, either)

-touch the metal part of any of the involved guitar cables.

Thanks a lot for your help in advance.

Turn volume way up when you listen to that. Do you hear that fuzzy sound? I just recorded a clean part with that exact same sound and setup 5 days before and it came out crystal clear. I've checked all the connections and can't figure out what is causing the sound. Any ideas?

You have a grounding problem it sounds like to me or an induction problem, though I'm not much of an engineer.

Grounding along the cable--there could be any number of reasons along your signal chain why you might have a grounding issue.

Induction along the cable--there could be a significant electromagnetic field inducting current along your cable that you interrupt when you touch certain things.

I'm feeling like it might be grounding though.

Yeah. Sounds like you pluged something new in your outlet and they are battling for the ground.

I suppose you know! ;)

Thanks a lot for your help.

I haven't plugged anything new in but I'll go ahead and unplug all unused appliances and buy a better power strip for now. Since the situation SHOULD be exactly the same as about 5 days before when I recorded a perfectly clear guitar, I'd like to think there is some kind of outside magnetic field interrupting. Is it possible for a magnetic field from the next apartment to spread into my room?

Thanks a lot for your help.

I haven't plugged anything new in but I'll go ahead and unplug all unused appliances and buy a better power strip for now. Since the situation SHOULD be exactly the same as about 5 days before when I recorded a perfectly clear guitar, I'd like to think there is some kind of outside magnetic field interrupting. Is it possible for a magnetic field from the next apartment to spread into my room?

It would have to be really strong, and it would require your cabling to probably be coiled somewhere along the way.