*NO* Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 'As The Windmill Turns'

DragonAvenger

Hello, ocremix!

Here is a link to my first submission to be evaluated by the judges: www.soundcloud.com/theorgangrinder

Contact Information:

ReMixer Name: Organgrinder

Email address:

UserID: 49072

Submission Information:

Name of Game Arranged: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Name of Arrangement: As The Windmill Turns

Name of Song Arranged: Windmill Hut (Song of Storms)

Link to source:

Additional Comments:

I decided to do a concept piece, with the song following the story throughout. Here's the concept (I know it may be cheesy):

An adolescent boy feels useless and outcast from society. He meets a girl who gives him the power to control the weather. The two fall in love. They get married and are dancing at their wedding when a man comes and takes the (now) woman away. Our hero conjures a massive storm to slow his opponent. As the woman is slowing him down, the villain drops the woman and begins to run away. The hero chases down the man who eventually gets struck by a bolt of lightning.

Our hero returns to reunite with his love but, to his dismay, the woman is nowhere to be found. The years pass, and our hero remains alone. Every so often, however, he hears the song of his lover from the sea. It is the very song that gave him his gift.

Thanks for checking out my submission!

-Organgrinder

• 4 weeks later...

The panning in the beginning really threw me for a loop. The flute in the very beginning is too quiet and dull, and should not be panned so hard left. Reverb that only comes out of one channel sounds extremely unnatural, which doesn't make sense for this type of song. The violin lead has the same problem. You're going for an organic orchestral sound; you really shouldn't be hard panning things.

The mix suffers from various elements being way too emphasized while others are tucked too far back. I'm not sure what's going on with the piano breakdown, but it needs a bit more context.

A song is like a story; you want it to go places, but you want to have some idea how it got there otherwise you're David Lynch.

NO

The balance does seem like it could use another listen and some tweaking.

In addition, Some of the string articulations could use some humanization, and there are parts where the percussion isn't quite matching the tempo of the song. There are some drums that are pushed back so far that they have no punch to them as well. Jesse has some good comments, and the concept of this is very cool, it just needs more refinement.

No, please resubmit

Definitely take Jesse's advice, because he is definitely right about the panning issues. In terms of production, I feel like the sounds overall aren't quite at the level they need to be to stand as they are. This might be solved with some tweaking of the sounds overall, but it might be worth looking for some ways to upgrade a few to bring up the overall level.

The arrangement overall is somewhat straightforward, but there are some very nice countermelodies you've added. I think doing a little more in terms of that or adding a couple more original sections would be a step in the right direction.

The transition to Zelda's lullaby and on felt a little meandering overall, and I think you could shorten it a touch or work with your dynamics or tempo to give that part more direction. Maybe having the piano build back into one final reprise of the source theme could provide a stronger end as well.

There's some work here to be done, but you have some promising ideas. Hit up the WIP forums to get some further advice from the forum goers and moderators.

NO