Portal - Still Alive jazz cover version

Tin Jay

SO YEAH.

This is not a remix but decided to post it here just for feedback or something anyways (I'm under the impression it's allowed?).

Recorded a bit over a year ago.

So here's the original. Just in the unlikely case there's someone on these forums who doesn't know the song:

AND the cover can be found here: http://tindeck.com/listen/izev

Thaankss.

EDIT: Jazzy cover, not a jazz cover.

• 4 weeks later...

I am the nightmare that hounds your garbage truck driver's dreams

I am the shovel that enters the graves that no one knew

I am the STINK that rises from the voodoo magic that you are witnessing right here, right now

PIERCING THE NIGHT; this is shameless bump.

On the serious note, you should really comment on that stuff there since its seems that this very thread has been able to bypass first page with over 200 views and zero comments which is by any standard a little rude. You lazy bozos. I mean, I COULD try to make a comment here and there but who would believe a man who just animated dead thread in the heat of the moment for no actual reason nor knowledge that necromancing is not cool man.

Do the comment or dont whatevs I dont care but I heard thats what cool kids do. I never was here.

Well since we're being guilty.

Pros:

Easily recognizeable (I like tunes that stick to the source)

good groove and timing

the organ solo

Cons:

The wavy panning of the piano in the beginning is a little jarring.

The way you hit grace notes very frequently on the piano starts to sound more like wrong notes, if you know what I mean. It's every other note in some places. Those expressive moments are to be used sparingly.

The arrangement is pretty straight. It feels mostly like a cover and not a remix, because I don't hear a lot that was changed.

Hope this helps!

Ah the flute just came in... it sounds very clear compared to the rest of the mix. If you can make the rest of the mix as clear and present as the flute, that'd be great. The rest of it sounds a bit like it's being played through a radio.

I also agree that the grace notes appear far too often, so try and trim them down. Otherwise, pretty nice to listen to :)

Yeah, i do know about the sound quality issues, which are just because the recording equipment I use is not all that pro (adds random background noise and stuff). So as to it, I'm afraid it's already as good as it can be after the necessary heavy EQing and all that. AND I can't say I'm exactly pleased with that fact but...

ANYWAYS, briefly commenting on the other comments. I admit the use of grace notes may be slightly excessive at times and I should probably cut them down a bit (actually in all my playing in general). But then again, in this one they also kinda belong to the style of the cover, as it's supposed to be jazzy, so I don't think thats too disturbing anyways(?). And yeah, this indeed is a cover, not a remix.

But yeah, thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. As much as necromancy and the stink of voodoo magic, both of which I've always found pretty cool.