*NO* Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 'Topic 9 Thermodynamics'

djpretzel

Remixer name: MASTCONNOISSEUR

Remix name: Topic 9 Thermodynamics

Name of game remixed: Zelda 64: Ocarina of Time

Individual song remixed: Gerudo Valley

Comments:

This would be my first remix. After being a devout fan of ocremix.org for about 5 years, I've finally taken the initiative to make my own. I worked on this song with my good friends, Jason Pai and Kyle Ogami.

Topic 9 Thermodynamics is a mixing of the genres. Rock + disco maybe?

I think I tagged the mp3 correctly.

Can't wait for the next effort, looking at Donkey Kong.

Link:

http://www.zophar.net/usf/lozusf.rar - 68 "Gerudo Valley"

Not a bad intro, all things considered; it was at least different. The plain, boring beats were the first major issue I had here though, as they dragged the mix down. Work at writing more thorough and varied percussion parts.

The arrangement was too straightforward/basic/safe/uncreative/simplified/uninterpretive (ha, 6!) for the first few minutes, basically following the original progressions verbatim with different sounds. You guys finally did something wholly original from 1:34-1:58, but it was short-lived.

1:58 had some decidedly more energetic/rock-based arrangement, where you guys had some good personal flair in the guitar work (even if it sounded terrible). Unfortunately, once the Gerudo melody came back again at 2:37, it was back to the same old, same old Gerudo melody + beats.

Blatty brass came in at 3:08 for the close. Can't you at least use a different style of instrumentation rather than the original's for that? Eww, the horns abruptly cut out at 3:28 and followed up with the cymbal shot for the beginner-ish finish.

Production was "OK" but pretty messy, but I'll leave that to someone else to highlight, as I've already said enough on this mix to last me a while.

Not bad for a first submission, AZN homies, but your arrangement is gonna have to get more interpretive with the melody here, not just sandwich some brief rearrangement or original inside a "disco/rock" cover of Gerudo Valley.

Y'all have the right idea though, as some of the guitar synth ideas with the source tune around the 2 1/2 minute mark were very creative. You guys certainly have some potential. Stick around the community and strive for improvement.

NO

i thought the abrupt sample in the intro was cool. unfortunately after that, the bells are incredibly messy. The dynamics are pretty good, but unfortunately the arrangement is very conventional. aside from that occasional interlude, this is very much a generic gerudo remix. Make it your own a bit more. The guitar solo thing was cool, do more stuff like that, but mainly present ideas that werent present in the original.

NO

Hmm, wasn't digging the intro. I'd personally prefer to use a neat gating effect on something of that nature. This sounds like a psuedo machine gun effect of samples without any velocity layers/round robin or alternation samples. Not a huge deal though.

Vig wasn't kidding, those bells are ugly and yes quite a mess. After that we get into a fairly straight forward arrangement of the theme with very little addition. Understandable to a degree as the melody is really fantastic and it's very hard to expand on that without being too liberal. I like the effects processing in this mix though, the segue to the guitar section was neat.

Also larry, the 3:08 brass section isn't really blatty. That's the way a lot of trumpet ensembles sound in the lower register.

Needs more arrangement expansion overall. The mix is generally put together nicely though. Hope to see more from you with more attention paid to the particulars.

NO