PSO:BB Exterior Crater Remix

MasterJace

Hey guys. Looking for some comments and/or critique on a mix i'm trying to finish. It's a bit of a techno-ish remix of Phantasy Star Online's entry into the crater BGM from episode 4. I've been back and forth on it, trying to spice up each version and while I see the progress I don't see it where I want it to be. I'm also thinking the intro is maybe too long and the bass is too loud.

Remix

Really liking the sound of this regardless - Perhaps switching up the drum pattern here and there might aid with it feeling too long (Variation tends to do that) Or even adding an additional part or so could help, as it's very close to the source. From the technical standpoint, I've no complaints - sounds solid.

: ) Don't limit yourself though, as sources like this allow a fair amount of room for extras and don't give up on this though!

The bass isn't too loud, but it has reverb, which it shouldn't. What bass have you heard of that has reverb? :P Even though it's an arp with automated filter, it's playing really low notes, so close enough. :P

Instead of adding reverb to the bass to get a fuller atmosphere, add fuller instruments in general, like pads. Right now the mix sounds kinda muddy with the excess reverb on the bass. I think if you take that out, it'll clear up room for more instruments.

You can also spice up your arrangement by adding things in faster. Instead of just adding things in every 16 bars, maybe add more subtle things in at 8, or even 4 bars.

You should also craft your sounds some more. They're interesting, but not all of them.