Mega Man 2 Wily Stage 1 (Alternativish)

The SamAreAye

Edit: Update!! Made some changes: http://www.sendspace.com/file/yn02ku

I have made the following changes:

*Cranked up the bass and EQ'd a lot of low end out of it.

*EQ'd the drums.

*Edited a few drum MIDI velocites (notable: the double bass section)

*Changed some of the drum parts in the piano bridge

*Added more reverb to the drums, especially the snare

*Doubled the rhythm guitar

*Played the piano part live to incorporate humanistic velocities. (Quantized)

*Replaced the cymbal at 1:10 with a ride cymbal. I did not initially realize that it was the left crash and not a ride, which is why it was panned to the left. D'oh!

Things to still be done:

*Tweak with the rhythm guitar tone. I like it, but I feel like at needs a little more bite.

*Possibly rerecord all the guitars. I would like to get my timing a little tighter.

*Possibly record a real bass for this song.

*ADD VARIATION TO ALL MIDI INSTRUMENT NOTE VELOCITES!!! (I know, I'll get too it.)

Original post:

Here is my take on the infamous Wily Stage 1. Entered in last month's Dwelling of Duels. Posting as a wip because I believe it can be improved as far as the production goes. I'm pretty satisfied with the arrangement. So, tell me what you guys think!

http://dwellingofduels.net/dodarchive/12-12-Magfest_Month/14-thesamareaye-Wily's%20Demise-DoD.mp3

Edited by The SamAreAye

This sounds nice, a quite original take. Doesn't have much to say other than that, other than that you should always listen to your stuff after you've uploaded it to make sure nothing has happened to it. Do it now, you'll know what I mean ;)

I just listened to it. It sounds the same as when I originally uploaded it...

• 2 months later...

Updated version: http://www.sendspace.com/file/yn02ku

Copied from the DoD forums:

Taken the feedback that I have received into consideration, I have made the following changes:

*Cranked up the bass and EQ'd a lot of low end out of it.

*EQ'd the drums.

*Edited a few drum MIDI velocites (notable: the double bass section)

*Changed some of the drum parts in the piano bridge

*Added more reverb to the drums, especially the snare

*Doubled the rhythm guitar

*Played the piano part live to incorporate humanistic velocities. (Quantized)

*Replaced the cymbal at 1:10 with a ride cymbal. I did not initially realize that it was the left crash and not a ride, which is why it was panned to the left. D'oh!

Things to still be done:

*Tweak with the rhythm guitar tone. I like it, but I feel like at needs a little more bite.

*Possibly rerecord all the guitars. I would like to get my timing a little tighter.

*Possibly record a real bass for this song.

*ADD VARIATION TO ALL MIDI INSTRUMENT NOTE VELOCITES!!! (I know, I'll get too it.)

I'd really like to make this sound great. Constructive feedback is greatly appreciated.

Hey this is really awesome!

I really really enjoyed everything after and including the piano interlude. Damn good stuff, haha

My only real complaint is how the bass drum has a very repetitive sequence until the double bass section pops up; a variation or two wouldn't hurt!

Certain sections could use velocity changes in the snare.

Seriously, good job with this! You nailed that piano section :<

Keep working on this--I want to see this get posted! I would work on the beginning of the track some more to entice listeners.

Might I also ask what your setup is? (which instruments are real/midi, etc.)

The lead guitar articulations are pretty static to me. Sounds like you just played casually while watching TV. As a result, it sounds really unexpressive, especially at 1:32. :D

The rhythm guitar isn't quite as punchy as it can be. It all sounds like straight soft-sustains to me, so there aren't really any powerful hard-sustain chords contrasting any sort of mutes or soft sustains. Is there a tiny bit of chorus in the rhythm guitar?

In sections like at 1:42, it's really packed, and the kicks are hard to hear, and the bass is too soft.

Piano sounds stiff quantized. Re-record with little quantization? :D The rhythm guitar sounds better right after the piano section.

3:46 would work much better if you automated a fade-in with a power chord or something like that. Or just an e^x slope reverse cymbal.

Hey this is really awesome!

I really really enjoyed everything after and including the piano interlude. Damn good stuff, haha

My only real complaint is how the bass drum has a very repetitive sequence until the double bass section pops up; a variation or two wouldn't hurt!

Certain sections could use velocity changes in the snare.

Seriously, good job with this! You nailed that piano section :<

Keep working on this--I want to see this get posted! I would work on the beginning of the track some more to entice listeners.

Might I also ask what your setup is? (which instruments are real/midi, etc.)

Thanks. I'll keep messing around with the drums. What would be your suggestion for the beginning of the song?

The electric guitars are the only real instruments. All the other instruments are MIDI. I am using Native Instruments products (Studio Drummer, Scarbee MM-Bass, Upright Piano), including Guitar Rig 5 for my electric guitar.

The lead guitar articulations are pretty static to me. Sounds like you just played casually while watching TV. As a result, it sounds really unexpressive, especially at 1:32. :D

The rhythm guitar isn't quite as punchy as it can be. It all sounds like straight soft-sustains to me, so there aren't really any powerful hard-sustain chords contrasting any sort of mutes or soft sustains. Is there a tiny bit of chorus in the rhythm guitar?

In sections like at 1:42, it's really packed, and the kicks are hard to hear, and the bass is too soft.

Piano sounds stiff quantized. Re-record with little quantization? :D The rhythm guitar sounds better right after the piano section.

3:46 would work much better if you automated a fade-in with a power chord or something like that. Or just an e^x slope reverse cymbal.

Okay, I'll see what I can do to liven up the leads.

The rhythm guitars are dry. The chorus you are hearing is probably the result of my less than superb timing when I recorded them.

I've had problems mixing the low EQs, particularly the bass guitar. Any tips?

I agree, the piano sounds a bit stiff, but I kind of like it.

Hm...I'll try out something different at 3:46.

Before I really rerecord anything, I want to get the mix sounding sweet first. I can alter the guitar tone without rerecording since my effects are set up as VSTs.

I've had problems mixing the low EQs, particularly the bass guitar. Any tips?

You should try a subtle, broad high pass on the rhythm guitar, reaching 0dB at about 100Hz.

As for the bass, maybe give a small boost at 200~250Hz. Then give a small notch cut at 200~250Hz in the rhythm guitar, and in the rhythm guitar EQ, leave the sub-100Hz for the bass.