*NO* Ecco the Dolphin 'Lost in Blue'

djpretzel

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.zophar.net/gym/ecco1gym.rar - 17 "Ocean"

I liked the relaxed atmosphere, though it did sound a little bit too busy. Obviously part of the watery feel this was meant to connote, I still couldn't help feel that the rhythm guitars cluttered the soundfield a little bit. Nothing impactful, but the patterns continued ad nauseum and couldn't retain the interest.

The synching up of all of the parts never felt glaringly off, but at the same didn't gel as much as I felt it could have. Perhaps simply pulling back the volume a little bit on some of the non-melodic material would help. Sounded like there was some sort of minor flub at 1:12.

By your own admission at VGMix, the arrangement here is pretty liberal, enough so that I didn't really make any connection between this and the source material. I'm sure it's there but it's not readily observable. Even barring that, the melodic portion of the arrangement is underdeveloped. For a slowly paced, ethereal track such as this, I'm hard-pressed to believe a 2:46-long mix can say enough and provide a comprehensive enough arrangement to pass, but you or anyone else are more than welcome to work towards discrediting that.

And as alluded to earlier, pretty much all of the background instrumentation repeats ad infinitum which lost my interest. It was hard to keep it, when I could go to any part of the track and it was basically the same thing. If you can extend the track, make the melodic content more overtly recognizable as Ecco's source material, and create variation, this would bring a lot more to the table.

Still a good track, Mike, and you also deserve credit for putting your work to the great cause of wildlife preservation. I hope to hear more from you on the panel in the future and encourage you to improve as you keep participating in Dwelling of Duels.

NO

Yeah this was pretty liberal, even I didn't recognize it at first.

I like the atmosphere, but this mix was way too clouded and muddy for me, even for a mix of this nature.

I agree with Vig pretty much, but one has to also remember that a lot of game music has only 2-3 chords, and sure it's incumbent upon us mixers to expand it more, I don't view it necessarily as a prerequisite. A lot of Ecco music in particular has very repetitive chords, as that's not usually the focus of the mix. But I do agree that it depends on the context, and in this context it just comes of as really really repetitive.

Still a pretty nice job though. Though I'd personally like to hear sharper production work done here, in addition to evolution. The texture of the piece remains the same with the same instrument from start to finish. NO

I too would like to make a commentary outside the context of judging this mix. Congratulations on your hardwork in trying to raise money for wildlife conservation. Sir, I respect your actions and intent behind them, as an animal activist/wildlife conservationist myself. Best of luck.