*NO* Deus Ex 'Honk Kong Shuffle'

djpretzel

email sub Anis Hammoudeh - Hong Kong Shuffle.mp3, original HongKongHelipad_ActionMusic.mp3

Contact Info:

ReMixer Name: ZeBigDaddy

E-mail: Ahammoudeh@gmail.com

Remix Info:

Game being ReMixed: Deus Ex

Name of song ReMixed: Hong Kong Helipad (Action)

Original Composer: Alex Brandon

Comments: I've always liked the Deus Ex; along with it being an excellent game I felt it had an amazing soundtrack, and I thought I'd try remixing a track. I've attached my remix and the original; sorry, I don't have a link. This is the second remix I've done, the first I'd submitted for a Dragon Roost Island remix on the Wind Waker soundtrack but lost all the data for that song because of a hard drive faliure, so I couldnt work on it and resubmit. I hope you like this one, thanks!

Thanks for providing the original, even though I hated it. Brandon has definitely had some better stuff on Deus Ex. :lol:

At 2:31-long, this is gonna have a hard time passing unless the arrangement and production are very strong, which is not the case for either. The percussion is really plain-jane and doesn't lend any energy to the mix, plus it repeats way too much. The foreground instrumentation also sound tepid and somewhat generic though the choice of sounds isn't terrible.

Beyond 1:31 though, you've basically heard all that there is to hear. Really not much going on here melodically. Lacking meaningful direction and very underdeveloped.

Not bad for a first submission though, Anis. Stay involved in the community and use the ReMixing and Works forums to learn more on music making and obtain criticism.

NO

Well, the original is groovetastic with very little actually going on in terms of substance. In that sense I do like what you've crafted out of that. I think I'm liking this a lot more than the other judges.

This sounds like a lot of electronica/film cues. I personally like the texture, the synths and yes the groove here. But I think this needs more focus on integrating the source material with the arrangement concepts. I also feel the arrangement generally is underdeveloped. More attention needs to be paid to the ending as well.

The production is generally ok. I like the groove, synths and samples. I think this needs more EQ work. You need to carve specific sonic spaces for all the instruments. For music of this nature, I think the sounds really need to be distinct and stand out against each other. A lot of eq work would be ok here, as would compression, maybe even light exciters to brighten things up a little. Another thing I want to hear is more use of the stereo space. A lot of instruments sound centered, or near center. I'd like you to pan things a little wider. More effects processing in general would help this also, to add some spice to the instruments and synths.

Neat stuff, I'm digging it, but it's not quite there yet I'm afraid. NO