*NO* Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island 'Run, Yoshi, Run!!'

Liontamer

ReMixer name: Tarcani

Email:

Userid: 50321

Game: Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

Arrangement: Run, Yoshi, Run!!

Individual songs arranged: Athletic Theme

Comments: I've been toying around with developing a piano arrangement of this piece ever since it invaded and pervaded my consciousness for about a month a while back. I came up with this light-hearted arrangement over the course of many revisions and I am pleased with the way it came out. The solo piano was an attempt to create a sort of homogeneous unit that demonstrates that this piece doesn't require any complicated instrumentation to be executed in an interesting and successful way. Enjoy!

Sweet intro. Actually, once things picked up from the intro, this was actually disappointingly similar to the original as far as the tempo and rhythms. Too bad considering how much more personalized the first 25 seconds were.

1:22-1:33 possibly used a very loose adaptation of a subtle part from :40-:43 of the source.

The recording was decent, the performance was solid, and there were some embellishments/flourishes there in terms of adapting it to piano, particularly towards the end after 1:55. The left-hand writing throughout attempts to add that level of intepretation.

But overall, I'm just not hearing ENOUGH beyond subtleties to really push me toward this arrangement standing apart enough from the original. The mood just feels pretty similar without feeling distinguishing itself enough. And at only 2:24 long, there wasn't much else to take away from it.

Am I in haterade mode? I like the track in a vacuum. It's certainly in the right direction as far as personalizing it; it's not as if it's entirely without merit. No vote yet until I see how some others feel about the potential subtlety of the arrangement approach, but I just can't quite get behind this one.

Am I in haterade mode? I like the track in a vacuum. It's certainly in the right direction as far as personalizing it; it's not as if it's entirely without merit. No vote yet until I see how some others feel about the potential subtlety of the arrangement approach, but I just can't quite get behind this one.

No, I think you're right on the money. The changes were very subtle here, mostly some added/changed notes in the left-hand and sometimes some rhythm changes. The intro was awesome, and it's interesting how even a tempo change gives it an interpretive feel. I wished the rest of the arrangement had that much distinction. I feel like this is a NO, but given the recent discussions we've had on cover vs. arrangement, maybe it would be good to hear from djp on this.

Lovin' that intro - could have built a whole arrangement around that!

Agreed with Larry - after the intro, things go into a piano arrangement of the source that, while technically fine, is basically a straight cover. With solo piano (or any solo performance) I think you need to do a little bit more to "make it yours" - that creativity and personalization in the intro needs to be present throughout, not quarantined. I don't normally vote, and while I'd love to hear a resubmission that explores the slower, more interpretive intro a bit more and adds more personalization to the faster bits, for now it's a

NO

Lovin' that intro - could have built a whole arrangement around that!

Damn, I KNOW, right? You're killing me, Tarc! That intro was hot.

Again, it's not that you didn't do ANYTHING to personalize this apart from the original. You did. It's just that there wasn't enough of it. When most of the arrangement is basically at the same tempo, rhythm and mood of the original, you've gotta do more to make it yours than the instrument adaptation and some flourishes.

The supporting writing WAS there, but it didn't significantly modify the feel of this piano arrangement compared to the feel of the original. It's a swank cover, it's just too conservative of a treatment for us, overall.

With that said, I'm comfortable choosing to go NO.

Totally agreed with the rest of the opinions here; this one shows a lot of promise at first, but the bulk of the arrangement does not demonstrate the level of interpretation I look for. The performances add an inherent level of personalization, but when the arrangement is this straightforward, it's not enough to put it over the bar.

Lovely piece, but it's not a fit for OCR's standards, IMO.

NO