*NO* Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons 'Winds of Antiquity'

Liontamer

ReMixer: Ryndal

Name: Matthew Kessler

userid: 49135

Game: The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons

Remix: Winds of Antiquity

Original Track: Tarm Ruins

I first set out to remix Tarm Ruins earlier this year. It began as a project with many more instruments, evoking an ethereal atmosphere that would show just how ancient and mystical Holodrum's ruins are. I eventually came to a fork in the road, unsure of what direction to proceed in. I kept messing with the melody and chord progressions on the piano, and I began to realize that a perfectly wonderful arrangement could be made on ivory keys alone. This time, though, I decided to advance the tone in a new direction, maintaining the sublime quality of Tarm but also showing the more whimsical nature of the Ancient Ruins located there. The end references the Legend of Zelda main theme and closes out on a major tone, signifying triumph and the recovery of the sixth Essence of Nature, the Blowing Wind.

Adventure, myth, danger, vagary, and beauty. Tarm Ruins is one of my favorite locations of in all the Legends of Zelda, and in this remix I wanted to capture everything that it's about.

The arrangement's creative, but everything's hampered by this mechanical sound of the piano. Things started off nice and airy, but anything fuller than that was immediately exposed.

Once this got uptempo at 1:32, the issues were even more pronounced and the timing sounded extremely mechanical. Piano of this sound quality's generally not acceptable. Right now, it's "Stiff Winds of Antiquity." It's too stilted and unexpressive, and it undermines the energy of the composition, as much as the effort is there.

Also there were some sour notes from 2:01-2:03 and 2:07-2:10 that were awkward. Then weird notes for the left hand part from 2:19-2:21 and 2:23.

It's good that delay and effects were used to try to fill out the soundscape, but everything sounded pretty distant and lossy as soon as the lower registers got involved; something's muddying up the whole sound.

Gotta give this more TLC. Piano sampling/sequencing tips from experienced Js are welcome!

NO

• 3 weeks later...

Not much to add, the rigid quantization and velocity levels are extremely detracting from your arrangement :-( The piano sound patch itself may or may not be passable, it sounds low-quality as it is but with the right nuance on the sequencing, you may be able to work with it.

Either way, humanization is the dealbreaker on this track right now, you need to make it so every note isn't quantized so rigidly and playing the same velocity for every note.

NO (resub)