*NO* Sonic the Hedgehog 'Childhood (Act 1)'

DragonAvenger

Joojes, he sent two mixes in a single submission, but since they are two separate pieces each with discrete beginnings and ends, we should judge them separately. I've duplicated the thread. -DS

Hello OC ReMix,

I have a submission I've spent a great deal of time on for you. This is the perfect place to submit, as it's none other than a Sonic the Hedgehog Green Hill Zone influenced piece. Now to the requested details!

Contact Information

Your ReMixer Name: Paul John

Your real name: Paul John Frankhouser

Your website: http://pauljohnmusic.com

Your forum userid: 50434 (pauljohn)

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged: Sonic the Hedgehog

Name of arrangement: Childhood (Act 1) + Childhood (Act 2)

Name of individual song(s) arranged: Green Hill Zone

Additional information: Originally composed by Masato Nakamura

Own comments: This piece is a big homage to Tiesto's 'Forever Today', which starts with a orchestral version, and goes into a harder hitting 2nd part. The orchestral part one version ('Act 1') is the result of years of being picky and trying to replicate a classical score with my available tools. The same goes for 'Act 2', a result of honing my skills as an EDM producer. 'Childhood' is definitely a derivative work over a cover, and with 'Green Hill Zone' being rather repetitive, I tried to add as much as I could, without straying from the main theme/goal...fun, good times as children.

P.S. - This was originally to be one consecutive song, but was split into 2 tracks for CD and licensing purposes. It is my hope it can be submitted as one.

Always my best, and thanks for keeping OC ReMix alive and moving forward.

-Paul John

-----------------

I figure I should vote on these guys separately?

Act 1:

So these strings samples are pretty nasty, particularly the highest violin sounds. The lower stuff isn't so bad but as a whole the nasty parts stand out. The harmony is pretty much just the sustained strings changing on the bar the whole time, and that doesn't really change. Apart from the bits of piano towards the end, thats the crux of your mix, and it really isn't doing enough to hold up by itself.

Act 1: NO

Yeah, there's a definite lack of clarity, and those string sounds are really hurting this mix.. I'm liking the overall approach to the arrangement, but the sample quality and mixing alone are holding this one back for me. Revisit your individual sounds, eleminate some of the unneeded EQ's, should help clean up the mix a bit, you might need to find some different samples for some of those strings, or at least trying to tweak the articulation a a bit to get them sounding more natural

NO(resub)

Yikes. The articulation on your strings are very unnatural. I think the samples themselves are alright, but they're played in the exact same way each time which becomes very noticeably fake since they're present throughout the whole arrangement.

Honestly, I don't feel like this track really stands up as a remix of its own. You adapted Green Hill Zone really well, and I admire you for the concept you've executed with the multi-part arrangement, but if we're judging this track on its own, it doesn't really develop enough in my opinion, regardless of the production/articulation issues.

Sorry! :-(

NO