*NO* Gradius 3 'Hero of the Flame' *RESUB*

DragonAvenger

Original decision

Submission download link:

Your ReMixer name: meccaneer

Your real name: TJ Ryan

Your email address:

Your website: http://www.facebook.com/TheMeccaneer

Your userid (number, not name) on our forums, found by viewing your forum profile: 2452

Name of game(s) arranged: Gradius 3

Name of arrangement: Hero of the Flame

Name of individual song(s) arranged: Fire Scramble

Additional information about game including composer, system, etc. (if it has not yet been added to the site)

Harumi Ueko, Kazuhiko Uehara, Kazuki Muraoka, Yukie Morimoto

Link to the original soundtrack (if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site)

http://www.zophar.net/music/spc/gradius-iii.html

Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.

This game has one of my favorite soundtracks, but it's just so fast! I needed to slow things down to really hear the grittiness and intricacy.

-----------------------

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just don't get the electronica staple of a super-fake sounding piano on top of a groove. I've heard a lot of cases where it works despite my personal reservations, especially in doujin scene arrangements, but here's it's just not working. The keys at :14 are too thin and it's too fake-sounding on account of the mechanical timing and how exposed it is.

The groove's meant to be beefy, and I hear how you're attempting that. But the soundscape sounded VERY hollow; texturally, there's just nothing going on until :56. This needed some high-end clarity and consistent background padding to give the sound some depth. Even after :56, it just gets cluttered and muddy when more parts come in.

Keepin' it real, this isn't gonna be the piece that gets you posted. I wouldn't have even paneled this in the first place, and I don't feel you can get it to where it needs to be at your current skill level. Whatever potential might be there in the arrangement was undermined by pretty poor sounds and mixing. You'll need to improve the articulations of your organic-style instruments, and the textures need to be on point.

Gotta walk before you can run, but many have made the journey, and it takes a while, so don't be discouraged in the long run. Stay hungry.

NO