Blaster Master levels 3 & 7

MindWanderer

http://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/PRC239

I submitted this to the last round of the PRC, and didn't get much in the way of constructive criticism, so I thought I'd put it in front of the firing squad over here. I like the way it came out a lot, so I'm hoping folks can either 1) give me pointers to bring it to the next level, or 2) rip me a new one and tell me what's horrible with it. I'm never going to get better if I can't identify flaws in my own work!

There are a few things I'm aware of, that I'll work on if I do decide to improve this:

- I didn't humanize at all. This is an extremely time-consuming process for me, so I'll only do it if I really love everything else and just need to perfect it.

- Some of the harmonies are a little strange. I'd especially like some feedback as to what worked and what didn't.

- I haven't decided whether I should just stick to level 3 and riff on it some more, and maybe save level 7 for another mix. For me to do everything I'd like to do with both would be a 10 minute song, but the best of both sources might also be a viable approach.

Again, please be brutal. Last time I posted stuff to the WIP board, everyone said they liked it until I put it up for mod review, when it got trashed. Please trash it sooner than later,

Congrats on winning the round MW. Pretty sweet mix for the most part.

Off the bat I think there is too much reverb on the horn call. If it's EWQLSO then I know you can't really get rid of all the reverb on the samples and it's probably stacking with the master reverb.

The harp is really really mechanical. I would take the plucks no more than four notes at a time and make sure that each one is humanized and varies appropriately in velocity. A little rubato here and there just to widen the downbeats. If you watch live orchestra players, especially the plucking ones, there is a really really long moment in preparation of a pluck on a downbeat. It's tough to explain but next time you see an orchestra watch the basses.

The bells are a little too piercing against the lush strings. Maybe filter off the highs or readjust the EQ. The fake vibrato kind of takes away alot of this mix's greatness especially around 3:13. I don't think this is EWQLSO.

Overall I really liked it, it reminds me of Star Ocean 2 in a good way, but some of the instruments don't seem to match each other.

The starting call sounds very very different from the rest of the mix and this becomes extremely apparent right around 3:13. After mixing different sections I always do a few long mixes where I just listen to it from start to finish and do some final tweeking as I listen. This helps with uniformity in the sound.

Great work for only a week's amount of time!

Edited by Garpocalypse