*NO* Final Fantasy 8 'Hopelessly Drifting'

djpretzel

email sub file Final Fantasy VIII Hopeless Drifting OC ReMix.mp3

Remixer Name- Eleminoh P.

Real Name- Ronnie Whitacre

E-mail Addresses- eleminoh_p@yahoo.com; frogthroat_06@yahoo.com

Game Remixed- Final Fantasy VIII

Song Remixed- Drifting

I'm 18 and i'm still in high school so i've had no real composition training. I did this remix because i loved Final Fantasy VIII's soundtrack and it usually gets the least credit out of all the Final Fantasy soundtacks, and i also wanted to see if my work is good enough to make it through something like a judges panel before i go off to college for composition.

Some parts of the song (when the drum set and bass comes in) are influenced by some works of Rob Dougan. But i feel like i made the mix my own while keeping the feel of the original peace. Hope you like.

Also, I didn't really understand all the tagging. I tried my best to get all the information in. If i didn't i guess i'll try again sometime.

http://www.tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/FF8_minipsf.rar - 305 "Drifting"

The funnier part is that the original is strings-only, so hearing these strings with their near-exact tone and wonky attack only makes these sound even worse. I'll admit, I don't like trying to take a string-based original and then having string parts here that sound almost the same in tone. Nonetheless, you did try to make things sound more aggressive with the percussion and vox. Ultimately though, I don't think it really adds enough to the picture arrangement-wise to be a pass, though you're in the right direction.

Like Vig said though, the samples are used pretty poorly and don't give any realism in the performance. And by 2:04, you're basically just repeating the same ideas over again with some minor additions, rather than offering anything new.

3:29-2:42 offered something new, and I really liked the synths and ideas there, but the usage was too brief and was irrelevant to the track. But play with those ideas more, and think about using stuff like that early and more often to provide contrast in the track.

Decent foundation, Ronnie, but needs a lot of work. Stick around the community and use the ReMixing & Works forums here to learn more and gain fan feedback.

NO

Yeah the attacks are too slow for this kind of piece, either try adjusting it or use another articulation or you can overlap the notes from end to start notes to cover up the slower attacks. I think having these works, if you use it sparingly and with different variations, but when every single note has the same ramp up and slowness it sounds obviously fake. The same is true with all the other samples here oddly enough - the choir and solo strings suffer from the same problems.

I can hear the Dougan influence here. You did a good job of layering the ensembles with solo strings to give a more intimate sound. Dougan tends to use smaller string sections.

Overall though, this is too simplistic and repetitive, in addition to the aforementioned problems.

Pretty good stuff, but not really up to the bar at this point. Keep working at it. You show potential. This though needs quite a bit of polishing and reworking. NO