Megaman Battle Network 4: Electric Town

Necrox

One of the key components of music composition and theory is ensuring that all of your instruments are working together to create one fantastic experience. Sadly, your arrangement is completely empty, and none of your instruments work together well. I understand it's generally a work in progress, but you can't go on any further until you start over, or else it will be a mess.

Before you work on this any further, I encourage you to go through the OCR library (probably after 2005 or so) and listen to how each instrument plays its purpose. What serves as a melody or harmony? What kind of atmosphere does it inspire? Why does it work so well? Great music can only come through time and practice. You may also want to check the guidelines on submissions to see what you're in for. It needs to have some original melody, with Electric Town as the inspiration behind the melody.

Trust me, I LOVE the battle network series, and I want to see more remixes of it. But you need to get back to the drawing board and find a better way to remix this song. Good luck!

Well, right now, since you want me to be honest:

Drums are spastic and don't fully connect with the flow of the song. They seem MIDI-ish rhythmically.

Piano doesn't really fit with the distorted sound at 0:20 (synth guitar?).

0:35 has some odd filtering that doesn't flow either.

I think the next step you can take is getting familiar with your DAW, practicing how you can imitate other people, and then using that knowledge to build your own pool of instruments for your own sound.