Turbo Man vs. Sonic

jnWake

B4C2 songs need to be posted somewhere, so here I go! I'll post all my entries on this thread.

-------------------------------

This is my entry to the first round of the Sonic vs Mega Man competition. Sources are:

Toxic Caves:

Turbo Man: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJxir0_MCGo .

My mix is here: https://soundcloud.com/jnwake/sonic-spinball-mega-man-7-spin .

My idea with this track was to keep the funky mood of Toxic Caves (mainly through the bass line), while adding elements of Turbo Man to create melodies. I'm not much of a funk person so I experimented quite a bit with the chord progressions here (recently discovered the 7Alt chord :-P). I'm especially proud of the 2:27 section!

I have to polish some stuff to call this a finished mix. Namely, the middle solo is a bit sloppy, panning is a bit weird and the ending needs a better fadeout!

Any feedback is welcome, hope you like this song!

As a note, almost every instrument used is a preset from either Absynth or FM8. Exceptions are the warm pad, strings, distortion lead and drums.

Edited by jnWake

Instead of spamming the forums with all my entries, I'll post all of them on this thread!

Anyway, here is my entry for round 2: The new source (Turbo Man will be used in all entries) is:

Chrome Gadget:

My mix: https://soundcloud.com/jnwake/sonic-3-mega-man-7-chroma-car .

Initially I wanted to do something in the style of Chrome Gadget, but that song doesn't have an easily identifiable style so I ended up mixing the styles from both sources.

The final mix is an energetic and fast song with some neat chord progressions in the vein of Chrome Gadget.

Any feedback (on this mix or the previous one) is welcome!

This time I used a bigger variety of VSTs. There are some synths (and the E. Piano) from FM8, guitar is Shreddage, Bass is Scarbee, Piano is The Giant, drums are AD and the synthetic drums are from Battery.

• 2 weeks later...

Time for Round 3!

New source is Prison Lane from Sonic Adventure 2:

Link to my mix: https://soundcloud.com/jnwake/sonic-adventure-2-mega-man-7 .

My idea for this mix was to keep Prison Lane's rocking mood so I decided to use a standard set of rock instruments! The arrangement is slightly straightforward but I think it's nice.

Guitar is Shreddage II with Guitar Rig for amps, Bass is Scarbee MM with Guitar Rig and the drums are Addictive Drums. All the other instruments come from my keyboard.

Hope someone is enjoying these mixes! Any feedback appreciated :-)

• 2 weeks later...

And the last one (I didn't participate in Rounds 5 and 6...).

This time I mixed Aquatic Base from Sonic 06 with Turbo Man. Links:

Aquatic Base:

The Remix: https://soundcloud.com/jnwake/sonic-06-mega-man-7-h2oil-wip .

Aquatic Base is quite a hard song to mix. It has this strange mood that I tried to keep in my remix (using lots of chords with 9ths and odd chord progressions). I added a slightly progressive jazzy feel to the song too. Grabbed some inspiration from "Hydrophone Breakdown" for the song's structure.

Hope you like it!

Any feedback is very welcome!

Chroma Car Keys was pretty cool. Guitar could have been less mechanical, but it's not a huge deal. Filler effects could have been a great addition, like white noise sweeps, etc.

Speeding Ticket was missing some bass, and mostly the low end was a problem. I couldn't really get much low end power from it, from either the bass or the kick. Treble was an issue too, but less so. SDG II sounded pretty standard, although using the right articulations would also help with the realism; try imagining a real guitar player and that should help. i.e. use Tapping Mode if you actually want genuine finger tapping, use legato for fast passages, etc.

H2Oil was a nice step up from the other three, but I think the intro pads were a little too quiet and simple, and needed a more evolving tone. Try looking at

for an idea of what I mean for the pads. 0:34 synth lead was slightly too quiet in volume (not velocity) and thin. At 0:54 in particular, EP could have used louder tines, or just a quiet bell layered on top. It isn't needed in other parts where it's less exposed. 2:29 guitar could benefit from some chorus. 3:02 sine wave would be nicer with some slightly heavy vibrato. Would have been great if there was something to connect 3:55 and 3:57 together, and some richer pads at 3:57.

These sound great overall, and just need some polish.