First try at singing! :3

Pl511

So I'm writing a song with lyrics for the first time! :3 It's pretty generic, it has very simple lyrics, a VERY standard progression, but it's my first attempt at singing (using a very very cheap-y microphone) and I can't take feedback from people I know because of embarrassment so please tell me if I'm doing anything wrong. I know my voice is pretty monotone, so I at least don't need you guys to tell me that. ^^; Any advice on filters or EQing or anything would be greatly appreciated! :D

stats.png

At first i want to tell you that it doesn't sound too monoton. To be honest it emphasizes very well to an empty and desperate feeling. For Mastering tips... put on a bit more Volume on the voice. It is called "Lead-voice" and has a reason to be at the utmost front. Next one is a little bit of Reverb.. dont overdo it. I won't criticize your microphone, since you just wanted to give it a first shot... but i seriously hope that you will finish the Song.

It is always embarrasing to listening to your own voice, but yours is very warm and fits very well to a lovelorn song. Keep it up :D

• 4 weeks later...

I was once having brief lessons about audio production from a professional engineer (guy who produced Carnifex's debut) at a rock and roll summer camp. One thing he emphasized about vocals was that you could get just as much if not more mileage out of delays compared to reverb. I say this because he also said its easy for novice vocalists to overdo reverb.