*NO* Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 'Overcast' *RESUB*

DragonAvenger

original decision

Real Name - Taylor Swann

Remixer name - Swann

email -

Remix - "Overcast"

It's been a while. Hey guys.

So I kind of forgot about this one. I really don't have an excuse for taking so long to resub it, since most of the problems were production-centered, but I had filed it away in a long-lost sector of the old laptop and had it not been for a few friends (chief among them Mr. Stevo Bortz) I might never have remembered this guy.

I'm sure everyone's very familiar with the sources but:

Originally written in Finale, recorded by myself and rendered with Emotional Piano.

quick breakdown:

0:00-0:11 Intro/exposition.

0:11-0:30 Source + extra

0:31-1:00 Secondary melody based on the source.

1:00-1:05 Modulation to F major

1:14-1:25 Source (major)

1:27-1:40 Zelda's Lullaby

1:40-2:00 Messing around with the Lullaby

2:02-2:05 Sun's Song/Hyrule Field "sunrise"

2:05-2:22 Going nuts

2:22-2:32 Source

2:42-end Zelda's Lullaby + Song of Storms

Enjoy!

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

There's some light but pretty obvious hiss that's unfortunately audible throughout.

I definitely love the arrangement, and I could see this passing due to the character of this winning out, but I can't get over the lack of realism in much of the sound. A piano-playing J can correct me, but the piano sample just sounds too thin in the higher octaves and many of the decays sound too sudden. I guess that can be a style, but it doesn't sound very good in the big picture; someone can let me know if it's just my personal taste, but I felt a lot of the energy inherent in the writing was undermined by the thin, somewhat rigid sound.

The arrangement really was sweet though; it was close.

NO (resubmit)

• 1 month later...

Strengths: some great arrangement ideas, cool modulations. Right hand has some good riffs.

Weaknesses: Left hand lacks nuance or interesting voicings. Sequencing is mechanical.

Work on humanizing it. You've got some great arrangement ideas I'd like to hear executed a bit better. Work on those harmonies.

NO

• 1 month later...

Love the arrangement. Lots of interesting ideas, I don't think there's anything you should change about it. It's got a lot of character and style, especially for a song that's been done so much. Unfortunately the piano sound is a bit thin. I think the song would benefit from some compression and maybe some EQing. The paino sound itself sounds fine to me, though there are sections where the playing is a tad unrealistic. Talk to one of the more experienced solo piano artists on the site and see if you can get more direct feedback. This is too good not to get posted.

NO (resubmit)