*NO* Magician 'You Begin Your Quest'

djpretzel

Email file You Begin Your Quest OC ReMix.mp3

Hello,

I would like to submit the attached song to your website. Please let me know if there are any problems with the tagging. Thanks,

-Glenn

Contact Info

Your ReMixer name = glenji2k4

Your real name = Glenn Murawski

Your email address = glennjamin2k1@aim.com

Your website

Your userid (number, not name) on our forums = ??? name = glenji2k4

ReMix Info

Name of game(s) ReMixed = Magician

Name of individual song(s) ReMixed = ??

Additional information about game if it has not yet been added to the site, including composer, system, etc. =

Company = Taxan, 1990

Composer = Neil Baldwin

System = NES

This was the town theme heard in the beginning of the game. Magician was a pretty tough game but one thing that stood out for me was the music. I tried my best to do it justice with this orchestra-styled arrangement.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/magician.zip - Track 12

The overall feel here isn't terrible, but the texture is definitely lacking. There's really no density here; the soundfield feels awfully sparse for something that's supposed to sound orchestrated. This is meant to sound epic, but doesn't sound rich enough or powerful enough to make it happen.

The piano sounded really thin/fake as well, with a very mechanical performance. String's were decent, but also thin and mechanical in the performance. Very little of the note-to-note movement sounded smooth. Just need more experience working with all of these samples to flesh them out and use them at their best. See what you can find at the ReMixing forum to give more body to the instruments and more realism to the sequencing.

At only 2:29-long, you're really gonna find it difficult to submit something that sounds like a fully developed, complete piece of music. It's halfway decent ok on that level, but still ends before it really has a chance to get off the ground and needs more ideas. Right now, this is a fairly straightforward orchestral adaptation, and could use more ideas to extend the piece as well as interpretation to lend more personalization to it.

NO

Like the soundtrack for this game. Never heard it before, but it reminds me of something I can't put my finger on. Very nice.

Mix starts off sounding quite basic. The piano sounds like it's played pretty sloppily, going out of time. Slow the mix down to record arpeggio's, then speed it back up once the notation's been recorded.

The actual orchestral stuff is pretty empty. The piano sounds very fake next to the rest of the stuff in the mix. The ideas are pretty good, but the way it's arranged has some issues. You need some stronger bass instruments, and a better instrument to play the arpeggio's. Subdue them some more and bring up the melodic piano, since that's supposed to be your feature.

The production is also a problem, the mix sounds flat. None of the drums sound like orchestral drums, they're too quite. The big drums are supposed to belt out a lovely reverberated community-hall sound. The cymbals need to crash so that it sounds like the world is falling apart, but everyone's ok with it. The mix ends rather abruptly too, although that's the least of your worries.

I recomment having a look in the ReMixing and WIP forums for some help. You have a good idea, and the source is a very good choice for a transformation into an orchestral piece. I could see this working very well. But until then, this is a NO

• 4 weeks later...