Steam Trading Cards

Steam has a trading card beta. You get trading cards by playing certain games on Steam. You combine a set of cards into a badge. Then you get cool cosmetic stuff, similar to being The Dude and getting a new rug. It doesn't really do anything, but it really ties the room together.

I'd like to have your trading cards. :)!!

Err I mean, discuss trading cards and marketplace stuff here.

I was a bit upset to see Steam had basically made their own "Real money auction house", which is something that outraged people about Diablo 3, but it doesn't seem to be bothering anyone else. So whatevs. I'm getting into it but I don't want to spend any money on it. I have made 10 cents by selling a beta invite. :P

I was a bit upset to see Steam had basically made their own "Real money auction house", which is something that outraged people about Diablo 3, but it doesn't seem to be bothering anyone else. So whatevs. I'm getting into it but I don't want to spend any money on it.

It's not bothering anybody for a couple of reasons:

-it has no bearing on the games themselves, cards are just a secondary reward for logging time in the games

-prices are low on most items, reflecting their minimal value to most people

-people are accustomed to plugging money into Steam by now, so it's not a big deal. In comparison, the Diablo series to date was a one-and-done affair in terms of cash. You could go on the black market to get rares and whatever, but that was completely outside of what was originally intended by the developers

If you're looking to collect stuff without spending money, well, good luck with that. :grin: If you have a good sized list of friends who don't want anything to do with the whole thing, you might make out alright. But this is, ultimately, another angle for Valve and their economist dude to see how they can target your wallet.

If you're looking to collect stuff without spending money, well, good luck with that. :grin: If you have a good sized list of friends who don't want anything to do with the whole thing, you might make out alright. But this is, ultimately, another angle for Valve and their economist dude to see how they can target your wallet.

Good point (about the Diablo stuff)

And this part in particular, I sorta figured... I don't know if anyone's interested or not in the whole thing, but I guess time will tell. I think if we had enough people at OCR participating in this, we could potentially get some card collections and badges going without spending cash.

I don't know, it seems a lot like achievements that you can play around with. It's for the gamers who have a lot of time to pour into Steam games. I'm sure that there will be a lot of people who will play it, but not everybody is going to have the time to build a good deck.

It does kind of sadden me that they made it this way. They could have made it so you could collect all of the cards, but make them even more rare, which would still maintain a strong marketplace I think... at least for a while. They could have made it so cards expire after a while if you don't combine them into a badge. They could do a bunch of stuff to keep the market fresh somehow, without doing it this way. :-P

But it's also pretty interesting what they might add as far as Achievement-based cards is concerned. Though it's almost definitely going to be cards for overly difficult achievements, or for getting all achievements in a game. :/

The question is, are you going to already start out with cards based on the hours you've already put into games, and the achievements you've already gotten? If they go that route and people get a lot of cards for all that TF2 they played two years ago, it may be worth it. If you have to sit around and re-earn all that crap to get cards, it isn't worth it for most people.

From what I heard it only takes 30 mins or an hour of playing to get a card, so I don't figure it'll be a big deal for TF2 players. but no, you don't get stuff for what you did in the past, it can only track new stuff.

Edit: I sold a couple tf2 items and an invite, and ended up with $3.50 - enough to buy the Lunar Pack and finish my set and get the badge for Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

All in all not bad, but now I need to play tf2 more often.

Edited by Brandon Strader