*NO* Super Mario Bros. 'Mystery vs. Mario'

Liontamer

Good substance despite the length - LT

Hi, it's me again. I guess you didn't receive my email reply containing a new remix submission (I sent it the night my first remix with Chris got posted; when you post up one of my remixes I give you another one :D), so I'm just sending it to you again. This is the reply to your email "Let's rock!"

'Yes, let's.

Here's a remix I'd like to submit to you guys, and frankly, to tell you the truth, I'm not so confident that it will get accepted. It's a live performance, not done with any fancy audio software, so it's obviously not perfect. But I'd like to give it a shot. If you decide for any reason to turn it down, please let me know what I can do to improve it for a future submission.

This is a piano remix of the classic Super Mario Bros. theme, tweaked in a unique way. It's called "Mystery vs. Mario". Interestingly, I actually started the remix by trying to play the main theme by ear in a different key, and ending up off tune. And inspiration to make this remix came from... nothing really - this was done at 1 in the morning, after a hard day of school. I still can't believe that over-tiredness actually helped me, but hey, it worked (shrug).

But enough talking. Here is the link, Enjoy!

You mentioned on the summary of my last remix that this year you'll probably find a way to put up music videos integrated with their songs, so I figured that if it does get accepted now, by the time you put it up on your website there'll be a good chance that this feature might be available, so here's the link for the music video:

The video actually adds to the song, so check it out. Thank you so much for your time and effort! Please let me know what the results end up being, and all the best!

Avitron '

Please reply back about the status of the submission. Cheers!

Avitron

------------------------------------------

http://youtu.be/wGX4obVl64w

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

The performance was a little loose, but the energy was good. The interpretation was solid and used repeated variations to not let such a short piece be repetitive.

The one big drawback I had, and it might be something that can't be helped given your equipment, is how thin the piano sounded. If there was some way to get a richer sound here where the notes sounded fuller and the decays weren't so fast, the piece would click much better.

The way the track cut off at the end before the last chord fully went quiet was unfortinate as well. It's a small detail to be sure, but it's important.

The piece could use more time as well, with another variation employed such as a tempo change to give this a little more substance and maybe pull it up between 2:00 to 2:15 in length, but that's not necessary.

NO (resubmit)

The arrangement is pretty damn cool, though I'd like to hear a slightly tighter performance in terms of timing. Also the mix is a bit...not good. It's dry, uncompressed, and thin. Needs bottom. If you've got the performance in MIDI it should be really easy for you to tighten this up, find a different sample, and do some mixing.

If you don't know how, maybe pass it along to someone who does; it really shouldn't take very long at all.

NO

Honestly not even feeling the arrangement here. It really just sounds like someone trying to play the Super Mario Bros. theme from memory and only really remembering most of the rhythm. I don't feel like the original Mario melody really comes out at all here. In a weird way it really feels too liberal.

Performance is also pretty sloppy; lots of flubby timing issues that took me out of the flow of the piece.

Needs work. NO