Your real name: Christoph Luhn

Your email address:

Your website: https://www.luhny.com

Your userid: 30857

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged: Final Fantasy

Name of arrangement: They took my eye!

Name of individual song(s) arranged: Matoya's Cave

Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.: Life has not been too good for me for the last 2 years in terms of remixing, alot of system problems mixed with new job and other real life madness and obligations made it hard to get anything worthwhile done except recording a fun piece or two. Anyways, here is my latest mix which I would like to share with everyone one of you.

There is not much to be said about the music of Final Fantasy that has not been said already. That most tracks are masterpieces from Nobuo's genuis as a composer is no big secret. What catches me most with Matoya's cave is the upbeat chord progression and a melody line that - although pretty short in itself - is interesting enough to loop it over and over again.

In this mix I tried to give it a rock theme, as this is practically the only kind of music I am capable of. It is pretty short though and the main arrangement is very conservative to the original. Despite this I am happy how it turned out and I hope that it meets OCR standards - if not I will gladly take constructive critism to improve.

Rock on and prosper,

-Luhny

-------------------------------------------------------

Not sure I think this is too conservative necessarily, but it's a bit short and moreover, the production isn't quite at the level I'd like to see. The intro has some recording bleed, while the drum kit sounds a little weak. The guitars are dry compared to the rest of the instrumentation, it never quite melds together for me. I don't think the short arrangement or production is a big enough problem individually, but together this feels like it needs a little more.

NO (resubmit)

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

Vinnie's got this down. The arrangement is pretty short overall, which doesn't allow for a lot of development. The melody's there, and you've got some interpretation, but I think you can take this further. The second half of the mix feels a little disconnected to the first half at times as well, having a few more connections in the solo might help that.

Production-wise I agree the drums sound a bit weak. A little more crack on the snare and bass drum would definitely help, and the cymbals feel kind of distant overall as well.

Good start here, but it needs a bit more work to go.

NO (resubmit)

The drumwork at :24 felt pretty plain. The mixing wasn't bad, but something about the lead guitar didn't quite cut through to the foreground.

The changeup to the original writing at :54 was a VERY abrupt and flat transition; the performance there didn't have any edge to it. Something was needed to, perhaps another guitar line, though it's tough to enhance what came off as a thin, flat lead. The drum work was also relatively sparse, which added to the texture feeling too empty.

Better shredding stuff at 1:06 to take the lead over :54's original writing, then shift the energy level and transition back to the source tune at 1:30; MUCH, much better. To me, this still could be produced in a way that let's the performance sound fuller and more aggressive, and makes dynamic shifts like this more pronounced, but what's there was good.

Back to another interation of the source at 1:30 which was much the same as :24's... ah it's cut-and-pasted. Also, even if the 1:30 section wasn't a straight-up cut-and-paste, it might as well be, because there was no meaningful difference. ANY variation in 1:30's verse compared to :24's would help the arrangement be more substantive. Finish it strong. Even for a brief piece, it needs to evolve more.

IMO, the biggest overall issue was that the dynamic curve was too flat. Reading the other votes now, yeah, there's something flat and dry about the overall production and performances that are undercutting the intended energy. This is a great start, Christoph, that just needs some fine tuning with the mixing and energy to get it where it needs to be.

NO (resubmit)