Banjo Kazooie - Gruntilda's Lair Remix

mazk1985

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/48542022/Maz%20K%20-%20Funktilda%27s%20Lair%28master%29_01.mp3

Hi, I've been a lurker on this site for what must be nearly a decade now and never really thought to upload a track but I've been working on a remix of Grunty's Lair and it would be great if anyone has any feedback for it.

I've been playing a ton of Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie recently and I had to remix a song from BK. On my way back from work one night I got the Grunty's Lair theme from BK stuck in my head so I began beat boxing to it (as you do :)) and when I got home I started a track. It's still a little rough and the end needs some work. Also I can't shake the feeling something is missing throughout.

Remix Name: Funktilda's Lair

Game: Banjo-Kazooie (Nintendo, 1998, N64)

ReMixer: Maz K

Composer Grant Kirkhope

Song: Gruntilda's Lair

Thanks for your time guys, I look forward to anything you got to say :)

Hey, thanks for finally sharing! It's a fantastic start you have here, but I think you're right - something feels like it's missing. You should try adding some countermelodies in there as well as the main theme, to spice it up a little. You could also add a break where the kick and snare are given a rest and then you can build up again. Some pads might also help to fill out the soundscape a little.

I really like the instrumentation you've used, and you experiment with some different instruments later in the track, but try using 2 of them together and mixing up the part writing between them. A funky solo? Who knows, but hopefully one of these ideas at least can help!

Hi DarkSim,

Thanks for the great feedback. I like all those ideas and have experimented with a few but I've especially tried your idea to add a break to little avail unfortunately. I'll keep at it though because your definitely right about giving the drums a rest :)

Not tried any counter melodies yet but yeah that would really give the tune a fresh feel, although I'm nearly intimidated by how crazy awesome Grant's melodies are.

Thanks again dude for the good ideas. Time to experiment some more :P