SazhaFreyaSazh (Sazh vs. Freya)

theshaggyfreak

This is what I'm submitting for the first round of the Final Fantasy Crystal Clash composition tournament. Despite being around OCR for quite some time, I really haven't done too much of the remixing thing. I suppose I tend to spend more time on original music but I'm looking to change that.

I wanted to stick with a jazz like sound that the original version of

has going. I dialed things back a bit and when for a more laid back brown vibe. So, there's some sax, organ, and drums. I also have a bit of Chapman Stick layered in there too. The entire song was done in Reason. None of the instruments were recorded live. They're all from synths or samples.

As far as mixing in some stuff from

, I used what is more or less the melody. I kept it in the same key as Sazh's theme, though. I was surprised how well it fit in.

Anyway, here's the tune. Feel free to give out constructive criticism. I feel fairly happy with what I accomplished in such a short time since we're only give a week to mix for the compo.

https://soundcloud.com/theshaggyfreak/sazhafreyasazh-sazh-vs-freya/s-ZrbhR

XPRTNovice was kind enough to lend his sax playing skills to my remix. Here's the new version with that replacing the simulated sax line: https://soundcloud.com/theshaggyfreak/sazhafreyasazh-sazh-vs-freya-1

I was going to suggest you contact him. :D Seriously. That's just awesome. I didn't give the new version a listen yet, but I liked what I was hearing on the first version, and I'll try to give a closer listen soon.

--Eino