Perfect Dark -Chicago (Trance)

Esperado

Im pretty excited to share this one with you guys! I spent alot of time really polishing this one into something worth bringing into the workshops.

its a mashup of:

Chicago - Perfect Dark

Dark Forest - Magic Quest starring mickey mouse.

Its a bit sparse on the Dark Forest source, but i think its noticeable in some places.

Hope you enjoy!

https://soundcloud.com/jesse-mitchell-3/esperado-feat-shadow24-big

Hey, this is really good! Great sound choices, nice subtle touches of vibrato, and a really good progression through the song. That bass sounds a little "flappy", maybe try and reduce the attack on it to almost nothing, or layer it with the same sound an octave higher at slightly lower volume.

Is there slight clipping at 2:43? That crash sounds a little harsh, you could scoop out some frequencies and keep the same effect there without causing it to overcompress the track at that point. Also, after that crash you should bring in some pads to fill out the low-mids and drive home those climactic bars.

Just a few points of improvement you could make pretty easily there, but I think you're onto a winner with this one!

Hey, this is really good! Great sound choices, nice subtle touches of vibrato, and a really good progression through the song. That bass sounds a little "flappy", maybe try and reduce the attack on it to almost nothing, or layer it with the same sound an octave higher at slightly lower volume.

Is there slight clipping at 2:43? That crash sounds a little harsh, you could scoop out some frequencies and keep the same effect there without causing it to overcompress the track at that point. Also, after that crash you should bring in some pads to fill out the low-mids and drive home those climactic bars.

Just a few points of improvement you could make pretty easily there, but I think you're onto a winner with this one!

i knew that damned gunshot would be a problem. I spend a good bit trying to get it not to clip there. ill try messing with the EQ on it to get it to fit in. someone also brought up the point that the gunshot at the end of the mix needs to be fixed so that it doesnt go from a clean and crisp gun cocking sound to a muffled gun blast sound. i might try using a different sample if needbe, as this one peaks really loud.

glad you like it!

Good stuff! I haven't heard the originals but I'm enjoying all this melodic harmony a lot!

The gunshot effect at 2:43 doesn't bother me. But I think the bass that's starting at ~1:04 is seriously lacking in power. What if you tried something like they do in modern "progressive" psytrance? Like

(just one example).

Also, I think I'd like the droning pad sound after ~0:30 a lot more if it wasn't interrupted by the kick drum, which now causes a sort of pumping effect. Maybe it's sidechained to the kick a bit too much? Or just a feature of a master compressor?

Edited by Byproduct

Good stuff! I haven't heard the originals but I'm enjoying all this melodic harmony a lot!

The gunshot effect at 2:43 doesn't bother me. But I think the bass that's starting at ~1:04 is seriously lacking in power. What if you tried something like they do in modern "progressive" psytrance? Like

(just one example).

Also, I think I'd like the droning pad sound after ~0:30 a lot more if it wasn't interrupted by the kick drum, which now causes a sort of pumping effect. Maybe it's sidechained to the kick a bit too much? Or just a feature of a master compressor?

do you mean the vowely bass sound? im not sure which pad you mean, theres a pad there that starts in the intro that i need to bury a little more as its too upfront which does have a sidechain compressor on it that starts at some point, is that what you mean?

I was aiming for that style of bass sound, but im not exactly sure how to acheive that style of bassline. currently im used a slightly tweaked bass preset that emulates that sort of sound.