What drum is this? (DKC2)

Ravich

I know it's synthetic, but often times composers were imitating specific instruments with these kinds of sounds. Hell, the strings are synthetic, but they're definitely strings, so I was wondering if that applied here as well.

Tight snare sounds about right, since I barely hear the... snare, and pitched out sounds right. I'll start with those tips and see where I get. Thanks for the tips.

I know it's synthetic, but often times composers were imitating specific instruments with these kinds of sounds. Hell, the strings are synthetic, but they're definitely strings, so I was wondering if that applied here as well.

Tight snare sounds about right, since I barely hear the... snare, and pitched out sounds right. I'll start with those tips and see where I get. Thanks for the tips.

Synthetic as in... well... synthesized. :| i.e. not a drum sample or a recorded drum sound. It's not referring to whether or not it's "supposed" to sound fake, because that's not the point. Either way, the way it functions like a snare but doesn't quite sound like a snare means it's playing a drum part that could fittingly be played with a real snare drum, but it sounds tom-like in timbre. Besides, there are some people who say toms are kind of like pitched snares anyways.

Edited by timaeus222

It could be, but I think it was just quickly sampled and compiled into a simple soundfont (one sample for every C and G per octave, perhaps, but whatever the case, it has almost no unique velocity layer samples).

I dont know if I'm using a midi file that is directly ripped from the game, but it has the timpani notes oscillating on semitones, as well as thirds and whatnot.

Either way, I didnt realize that they even used samples for anything other than vocals way back then. Interesting.

Interesting thought on it being a timpani pitched up. I'm not having much luck with pitching up a snare, although it does resemble the sound more it doesnt really work. I'll probably try laying a snare with a tom or something, but I might just end up using a regular snare since I'm not going for a synthesized sound anyway.

It doesn't really sound synthesized to me, feels like it was originally some kind of acoustic recording before being severely degraded. It was probably sampled from one of the old Roland hardware sound modules, those were de rigueur in the 16 bit era.

That's pretty much exactly how SNES stuff was sampled, although Chrono Trigger used some Korg M1 stuff, or just Korg in general IIRC.