*NO* Rush'n Attack 'Keep Going (Infantry Mix)'

djpretzel

Alias: xaNax

Name: Jonas Hellberg

Email: xanax@rls.se

Homepage: http://medlem.spray.se/xanaxmusic

Remix:

Hi.

I have made a Techno/Dance remix of the Rush'n Attack stage 1 theme, for NES.

I was going for a eurotechno, trance song with a happy sound.

It's a simple dance song that turned out pretty well. I have friends who have been giving me feedback during the making, it have been real helpfull, and a fun task to deal with. When I first came up with the idea, I listend to all sort of old euro techno, and trance remixes. I used to listen to euro techno when I was younger, it was the "thing" in the 90's here in sweden. I have allways thought that those songs have good and happy melodies, and I realy like the theme from Rush'n Attack, so why not combine them both. There is'nt many Rush'n Attack remixes on the site aswell.

I made this song in reason 3, the no:1 program I use when I make music.

The lead melody is played by a Sawtooth, I wanted it to sound like the trance tracks. I have a regular beat with a low bass drum playing hand to hand with the bass. I know the bass track is kind of boring, but thats how it usually sounds, and it works pretty good with the overal mix.

I allso use some japanese plucks and chimes that plays with melody, I call this the happy touch. Allso playing is a piano that plays the other lead melody at first. I allso use the piano in the break for a more relaxed touch. I have been trying to give the song some variation with a break, some drumwork, melody's etc.

Overal I'm pretty darn happy how well the sound in the mix works.

I would say this is my best mix up to date. And I hope you guys will enjoy it, and hopefully bring a smile :)

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/rushnatk.zip - Track 3

Opening siren is modified from Track 2 of the NSF. Hate to criticize the dance/techno genre, but this sounds awfully generic for it. But let's not discount this simply on account of the genre.

Source creeps in at :29 with altered rhythms, before the whole thing picks up with some beetz at :47. Keyboard at 1:15 sounds ok. I think it would be hard to make it sound airier without toning down the beefy kicks, but making it more ethereal sounding would downplay the syntheticness of the sample. Probably just a personal taste gripe as I've heard other pro stuff in the genre where the piano/keyboard sounds almost exactly like this, so it's not a hit against the track.

Yeah, you really weren't kidding about the bass track being boring. The beat work also tends drags on after a while, so while you're being faithful to the genre, it's my feeling that you should go for something a little more progressive and varied that doesn't wear thin after a minute. IMO dynamics aren't so important here as much as variation. 2:07-2:23 had a good brief gentile spot, but didn't have much substance to it.

For a relatively brief mix at 3:17-long, you gotta keep the development and variation going most of the way through in order to sustain interest in the arrangement ideas. Right now it's pretty stock/formulaic for the genre and runs out of ideas for the energetic portions too early.

NO

Some very interesting things going on here. I think you have the genre down well.

The problem here for me is the lack of development. The bass and beats tend to feel like they're going on and on and on, and they're rather basic. Also there's not much harmonic support going on here, which isn't necessarily important for this genre. The key elements are in place here really.

But I feel this lacks the hooks needed for music of this style, it's also somewhat lacking in sophisticated synth design, processing, beatwork, etc.

I would have liked to have heard this with more development and less straightforward approaches. Of course production polish here would have been much welcomed as well.

Nothing really wrong here per se, just nothing that stands out in several areas. But fairly nice work regardless of my issues with this. Keep at it.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

I thought this could have had stronger "hooks" and melodic material, as Gray pointed out. The original melody was really good and I don't think that really was displayed here. The production wasn't bad, but it WAS on the generic side, and when the arrangement isn't doing a whole lot either, you have a mix that doesn't quite get to our bar.

NO