*NO* GoldenEye 007 'Run Away with Me' *RESUB*

Liontamer

Original Decision: http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2700

Hi Larry!

I forgot what the normal way was to resubmit a track so I thought I'd message. I asked on the IRC channel if there is a policy on how old a remix was and if there was a time period in which it could be resubmitted and Zircon told me the period was indefinite. So yeah I'd like to resubmit a veeeery old remix (must be nearly 9 years now) and since I remember you judged it, I know you'll know it's a resubmit!

The remix is 'Run Away With Me' from GoldenEye 007.

Here is a link to the original remix that was rejected (currently no mp3 uploaded, I can provide one if requested):

And this is the updated version which is now titled "Run Away With Me (2013)":

If the link does not work, alternatively it can be grabbed from my soundcloud:

If I remember correctly the problems were with samples, some robotic and odd dynamics and some repetitiveness in arrangement. I believe those are fixed and it has a different end section now.

Not sure if I need to provide anything else, let me know and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Cheers Larry!

-----------------------------------------------------------

- "Runway" (2:54-on can be ignored) Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

Man, that takes me WAY, way back. The opening piano was cool. The strings entering in were definitely an improvement from before. The arrangement was still good and I'd pass it if it were about that alone, but the mixing and balance here unfortunately weren't on point. At 1:18, the bass and strings seemed to add mostly mud to the piece and needed to be sharper. Something about the layered strings sounded almost out of tune with the guitar lead until 1:41.

The tempo was still plodding, but even though the pacing was slow and deliberate, the dynamics in the writing were still good, even if the execution with the instrumentation was lacking on account of the mixing.

My main dealbreaker issue: in the effort to thicken the textures up, things often were too crowded and imbalanced. During the fullest parts (e.g. 1:18-1:41, 2:06-2:27, 3:22-3:34, 3:57-4:42), the bassline might as well not be there because it's too indistinct and get swallowed up. Also during those fuller sections, the balance between the parts was way off; the lead writing is certainly more of a plucked style, so it's not very in-your-face, but it sounds like it should be louder and in the forefront compared to the supporting instrumentation. There's too much competition between your parts for space, rather than them working in tandem. For example, the piano at 3:38 sounded great until the bowed strings and brass came in at 3:45, then it could barely be heard. It's not awful, since the focus is on other things, but it's strange to have that part get so completely swallowed up. The crescendo from 4:20-4:41 is supposed to sound powerful, but it sounded more cramped than anything else.

The drums at 4:41-4:42 sounded like they distorted briefly. Not quite sure that kit fit with the orchestration around it, but I'll live with the sound choice.

I wish I could offer specific advice on how to declutter and re-balance this, Alex, but the other Js and the Workshop forum may be able to help there. The arrangement is still sweeeeeet, but the mixing's a problem with these richer samples now in place. You've gotta tame 'em. :-)

NO (resubmit)

wow, awesome to see a resub from a song that was first subbed before I was even a member of the community! THis arrangement is excellent, and I think all it really needs is some EQ automation in a few specific areas to trim certain parts down slightly when there are more elements going on. It really has a classic bond feel to it, and the warmth of the track is awesome; it sounds lush throughout, but too full when there are multiple elements. The sound choices were excellent, and the specific treatment of your drumkit is awesome how faithful you were to the bond arrangement sound from the movie.

How I would personally handle trimming the track would be to roll down the low mids in the strings when they are supporting, and then leave them be in the more exposed parts. The spots Larry mentioned are pretty much the only ones that need trimming, and it's basically the strings, brass, and piano that share frequency ranges. Another solution would be to bring the piano up an octave when things get filled, but i think the EQ would be more beneficial.

Overall it's just the clarity that is bringing this down, the deliberate pace and smart arranging is excellent, and the sequencing is very good. I'm tempted to just vote yes based on the strengths, but i think that having a more clear version is worth the extra effort. Very big fan of this song!

No, please resubmit!

Terrific arrangement, I love the slow pace. The instrumentation choices are solid. Definitely needs some better mixing though, everything is competing for frequency space and volume. This will require some creative automation.

The string sample sounds fine, and I even hear some nice swells happening, but they are too loud quite a bit of the time. They need to recede into the background when they aren't the main focus.

I love the dark piano, but it is a bit low-heavy and ends up sounding muddy. Cut out some low-lows, and give it a boost on the higher end to make it cut through a bit more. It isn't so much of an issue when the piano plays alone, just when it is in the denser sections.

Drum kit works well I think, the drum writing gets a bit repetitive sometimes. The breakdown at 1:41 for example, could have an altered, softer drum pattern. Also, please widen hats, crashes, and high-end percussion, no need for those to be sitting in the middle.

At 2:04 you've got so many things going on. String sustains, string staccato notes, piano, and a plucked instrument, all playing in a similar frequency range and at similar volume. That is a lot of competition. You can separate these things with eq notching, volume automation, stereo separation of some things, panning left or right with some things, and some reverb tricks to push things back or pull them forward. I love the two brass stabs, but they feel a bit lonely.

Overall, I'd suggest thinking about what you want the listener to focus on at the different parts in the track, and find a way to bring those forward. Should be just one or two elements taking the lead at any point, and the rest should take a backseat, otherwise it is just a wall of sound.

I'm loving this. Please give this a mixing face-lift and resubmit it, please!

NO (resubmit)

p.s. I have a sample of that Goldeneye pipe (poohm) sound if you want it, it might be a fun addition to this track, let me know if you want it! (I use it a lot myself!)