*NO* Donkey Kong Country 2 'Jib Jigush'

Liontamer

Hello,

My name is Nicholas Mazzilli. When I was first acquainted with the OC Remix community in 2004, I felt highly inspired. I have had a slight obsession with video game music since a fairly young age, so I easily became a fan of your organization. The remix I am submitting for consideration is hosted and can be heard as well as downloaded here:

If the judges like what they hear, they can expect more video game remixes from me in the future.

If the song is not approved, please share with me what improvements could be made made to make it eligible for consideration or if any other information needs to be provided.

I have provided the rest of the requested information below.

Contact Information

Your ReMixer name - MazzMan

Your real name - Nicholas Mazzilli

Your email address -

Your website - MazzilliSound.com

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged - Donkey Kong Country 2

Name of arrangement - Jib Jigush

Name of individual song(s) arranged - Jib Jig

Link to the original soundtrack - www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGHQ5iBJkzA

I perform on accordion for this track. This one is for Diddy!

I am excited at the possibility to be a part of this VGM community. I look forward to your response. Thank you for your consideration!

------------------------------

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

The mix title doesn't influence the vote, but did you mean "Jib Jigish"? What the hell's a "jigush"? :lol:

I like the accordion performance, but the percussion and bass writing sounded really stiff and didn't quite gel with that or fill out the soundfield enough. Areas like 1:53 where the drumkit's more exposed, it just sounds pretty thin and mechanical. The drumkit needed a richer sound and more sophisticated writing.

Dynamically, you have some mild dropoffs and rebuilds, but the pace and energy were too plodding and the melodic treatment felt repetitive and lacking in dynamic contrast. The dropoff into the drum pattern at 1:40 sounded like a cut-and-paste of the intro with different water & wind SFX, and while the second half did introduce some different leads and textures around 2:15, the energy level basically topped out way before that.

I'm not saying the tempo needs to be sped up, but this needs something else in the writing and backing instrumentation to really make the piece flow in a less plodding way. Hopefully the other Js can speak in more depth and specifics as far as suggestions to polish this up. The accordion performance could have been a little smoother, but was a very cool feature here; now you need to tighten the bolts on the surrounding instrumentation. It needs work, Nicholas, but is definitely moving in the right direction.

NO (resubmit)

Gotta agree that the accordion performance was the highlight, and that the drum samples were not getting it done. I loved the right panned semi-chip synth, but the hard panning was not working out based on the size of frequency range it took up; that needs to be centered, or at least doubled and filtered on the other side.

The arrangement additions are very nice and pretty smart, and with the exceptions to the drum solo section, pretty good transitions. That specific one felt sudden and pretty underwhelming.

Overall this needs a bit of production touchup, and some more compelling drum sounds before it can pass. The performance aspect was very nice, and the arrangement has promise.

If you'd like some individual help with some samples, hit me up and I can assist you personally.

No, please resubmit