*NO* Plok 'Beach Noise (Beat 'Em Good!)'

Liontamer

Remixer name: Jimmy & Bimmy

Email address:

Name of game arranged: Plok

Name of arrangement: Beach Noise (Beat 'em good!)

Name of arranged song: Beach

Original soundtrack:

About this remix:

Second song off our first EP "The Leprosy Effect". Our last submission was a clear no-go, which came as a bit of surprise for us. We did however initially upload the wrong mixdown (and resubmitted), but the Judges found the overall performance too flat, which is a fair enough statement really (can't argue with taste). Perhaps the performance for this take on Plok's "Beach" will manage to tickle your senses a bit more :-).

Cheers!

--------------------------------------------------------

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

Love this source tune, another Follin Bros. masterpiece. The arrangement's relatively straightforward with the same tempo and mostly the same structure. Still, I felt it was sufficiently personalized for a cover via the new instrumentation, live performances and subtle textural changes.

A smaller issue, but the snare pattern from :49-1:31 seemed like it plodded because the other parts of the drumkit were bleeding into the other parts and being obscured. I really thought the mixing job undermided this piece though, and we needed another pass at this. It sounds like almost all the highs got cut and there was a lot of mud during the densest sections. The organ from 1:16-1:31 added even more mud, and the brass ended up getting smothered.

The ending cut off abruptly before the fade finished. That resolution could have been fleshed out more, but that wasn't enough to totally kill it. Still, I really think this needs the mixing to be cleaned up some; it's a little too lo-fi to get by. Hopefully Bims & Jims would be willing to revisit the post-production work on this and see if it could be spruced up. If that aspect were improved some, I could get behind this. We'll see if the others are at least feeling that the performance and instrumentation choices here are interpretive enough on the arrangement level. I'm still a big fan of Bimmy & Jimmy; we just need things clicking a bit more, and I know you guys can do it.

NO (resubmit)

Yeah, this is pretty sweet, and THere is high end, but it seems to be eaten up completely by a lot of reverb and headroom. It actually sounds like a late 70's production style here, which matches the instrumentation pretty closely, meaning the fidelity is possibly an artistic choice. Nothing wrong with a bit of retro, though a little more sizzle in the track would be appreciated.

THe arrangement was close but definitely personalized, no qualms there, and solid playing. Transitions were fine, and the sound choices were really nice together. The middle section was the hotness, loved that!

The sudden cutoff is unfortunate and should be fixed; let the track fade completely before ending. I think the track is very very close, but just needs a few tweaks, and a better fade at the end. Nice work gentlemen, I await a resubmission!

No, please resubmit

This is a super cool arrangement, even while playing it close to the amazing source tune. I agree that the mix has almost no high end. It sounds like the whole mix has a blanket over it.

Drums are way too quiet in general. Also I'd like to hear hats, crashes and high-end percussion elements a little wider in the soundscape and not just sitting in the middle.

This needs a better mixing job to give your elements some sparkle. I hear the elements competing somewhat for frequency space, but my main complaint is that the whole soundscape is flat. The writing and playing are really good though! The ending is a bit abrupt, feels like it needs one more chord to resolve it properly.

I'd recommend posting this in the workshop to get some top quality advice on how to bring the mixing up to code, and then please resubmit this one!

NO (resubmit)