*NO* Final Fantasy 6 'Haunted Woods'

djpretzel

This is Corran from vgmix, and I've got my third try for OCR. Hope you enjoy...

Contact Info:

Remixer name: Corran

email: bjgarris@valdosta.edu

my user ID: 595

Remix Info:

Game: Final Fantasy VI

Name of song remixed: The Phantom Forest

This is a remastered version of "Haunted Woods" that was on vgmix.com a few months ago. I did this arrangement for a midterm project in a Computers in Music class. I was trying for a pseudo-20th century style, but it turned out fairly tonal. But it's definitely a very ambient piece...I think it's a bit different from your normal remix. It was originally written for flute and tape, but I just went ahead and recorded the flute part directly into the mix. Anyway, I hope you enjoy it and I look forward to seeing the result...

Here's the link:

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=ff6 - "The Phantom Forest" (ff6-115.spc)

Just listening to the intro, this sounds really lo-fi for a 160kbps encoding; sounds more like 80kbps. Gray feels it's the heavy reverb causing that perception, but I don't think that's what's making this seem so lossy.

Track was absolutely piercing at :20, 1:12, 1:40, 2:15, 2:30, 2:50, 3:20 and 3:32 when you had the woodwind lead peaking. I later noticed my Winamp EQ was already at -3db. Man, I can't believe the track was actually louder than this. Ouch. You really have to reign this stuff in.

I like the atmosphere overall, Bryan, but the construction is too simplistic. I'm not trying to sell you short, but this is essentially just a couple of ambient pads, string pads, ghoulish forest/nature SFX and the woodwind lead.

If you're going a minimalistic route and slowing the tempo down, you still need way more interpretation and arrangement substance than this for a 5:00-long track. Perhaps figure out a way to arrange the original's rhythm section in here as well. Beyond fixing the sound/volume problems, anything that incorporates and interprets more of the source material would be a plus.

NO

reeeeeeevvvvvveeeerrrrrrrrrrbbbbbbb.

yeah there's a lot of it. too much for my tastes. i'm sure its 100% deliberate, but it makes it really hard to tell just what the hell is going on in the arrangement sometimes.

your track notes would have me believe that's a real flute, though with the amount of verb you're bathing this in, it's honestly hard to tell. assuming it is real, your tone and pitch are spot on, and its a good performance.

Larry's right about the arrangement. the sections that don't cover the source material are for the most part improvisations on the root scale.

If the arrangement IS more involved than this, I just can't hear it, because I feel like I'm listening to this in the echoing recesses of purgatory.

Too much reverb, man.

NO

the ambience is enjoyable, and i'm a sucker for atmosphere, but this seems a bit cluttered and poorly thought-out. near 1:40 there's some muck where the pads and the flutes clash. In fact, the track very often feels cluttered. If you're doing ambient, you should leave more space. I feel like the flute sometimes plays too quickly, too many notes that are poorly chosen. entirely random. Needs better planning...i guess..iguess is the main bullet-point...i want you to get out of this.

NO