*NO* Super Mario Bros. 'Mushroom Life'

Palpable

Hello,

I would like to submit you my remix of Mario's theme. Here are the informations :

CONTACT INFORMATION :

Remixer Name : Michael J. Simeon

Email adress :

SUBMISSION INFORMATION :

Names of games arranged : Super Mario Bros. / Super Mario 64

Name of arrangement : "Mushroom Life"

Names of individuals songs aranged : - Super Mario Bros. "Overworld BGM"

- Super Mario 64 "Super Mario 64 Main Theme"

Thank you very much. Have a nice day.

MJS

------------------------------

Super Mario Bros. Overworld

Super Mario 64 Bob-Omb Battlefield Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

It's always nice to see someone do something new with such classic themes. The orchestral treatment has been done for both these songs before, but the time signature and rhythm changes here are pretty interesting. It's a little awkward in some places - the conversion doesn't sound 100% smooth - but I like the creativity shown in this take.

Just a couple problems holding this back for me. One, the two songs are not handled as a cohesive piece. One of them stops, the next starts. This doesn't fit with our standards and to meet them, it might have been nice to use the SM64 theme as a bridge. The treatment of the songs is very similar, so I don't think it would be too difficult. Two, the rigidity of the sequencing comes up from time to time, notably in the intro or sections with less going on. When everything is playing, it's less noticeable.

Overall, some great ideas that need further refinement. This is most of the way there in my book.

NO (resubmit)

Edited by Palpable

• 3 weeks later...

Vinnie has covered this really well; the overall ideas and details are great, but the sequencing needs improvement and smoothing, and the 2 themes need to be slightly more related, even if there is just a return of a further-expanded on overworld theme.

the marcato strings especially felt stiff and exposed to me, so I suggest taking a listen to those and doing what you can to improve them. I think that it's close as-is, but will need some extra polish to clear the bar. I look forward to a resubmission!

No, please resubmit

Whoa, cool time signatures here! So nice to hear the main Mario theme in 3/4! And the switching between time signatures was nearly seamless, kudos. There are some truly dynamite ideas here. I really like the little bit of synth work thrown in, too.

The sequencing is in fact quite rigid and un-humanized. I think the worst offenders are the low brass and bass clarinets. Also, the supporting percussion (especially the tambourine) is too loud. Even so I think this might work if the track came across as one cohesive song. Build a bridge between the two parts, do some humanization on those instruments, and it'll get my vote.

NO (resubmit)