Palpable

Jakesnke17

Jacob Diaz

http://djjd.bandcamp.com

Final Fantasy VI; Inspector Gadget and the Circus of Fear

Gizmo Lovin' Sasquatch

Umaro's Theme; Inspector Gadget Theme

Here's the Inspector Gadget theme from the Commodore 64 game:

Hey there! This is actually an arrangement I did for the 2nd Final Fantasy VI remix contest. Truth be told, I don't know why I added the Inspector Gadget theme, but it just worked. I felt like it totally fit with Umaro's Theme...and considering I hadn't really explored glitch hop territory before, thought I'd try something new. I hope you guys like it.

...and yes, I know it's the Inspector Gadget theme you hear everywhere, but I don't know if it was ever attached to the C64 game before. haha

--------------------------

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

So how do we feel about 36 seconds of Inspector Gadget in a 2:44 length remix? I think that's pretty much what this vote boils down to. There are two relevant parts of the standards here:

The music must have been composed specifically for the game or first published (or recognized) as the game's soundtrack.
Any incorporation or arrangement of source material not from games (mainstream, classical, etc.) should be extremely limited.

Per the first point, the Inspector Gadget music was NOT composed for the game originally. Nor is the C64 song like the music from the TMNT series where bits and pieces of music written for the series are incorporated into new game songs - it's pretty much the theme adapted to chiptune. That leads me to call this as a Final Fantasy 6 remix with incorporation of the Inspector Gadget TV theme.

Now the second part of the standards comes in. The usage of the Gadget theme is not limited IMO, though it is a little ambiguous whether that part of the standards applies here, given that Inspector Gadget theme IS from a game (as noted by Jake), just not originally. Nevertheless, I think the spirit of the standards was not met here, if not the letter of it. Great piece, but the heavily emphasized Inspector Gadget elements make it a no-go. I'd like to hear others' thoughts.

NO

Edited by Palpable

• 5 weeks later...

Gonna have to agree with Vinnie on the source use, but have a little additional feedback on the rest of the track.

The low hits at :36 were not doing it for me in context; they were super exposed and sounded behind the beat. If you wanted to rework the exact same feel but to keep it in the site's standards, replacing the Inspector Gadget theme with Kefka's would be pretty similar in a lot of ways. You definitely don't need to, as this is a sweet track, but as-is, it falls a little outside of the site's scope.

No

• 2 weeks later...

Short and sweet, I thought this was a great track, albeit mixed somewhat abrasively.

this is a sweet track, but as-is, it falls a little outside of the site's scope.

Inspector Gadget TV theme: :45-:54.5, 56.75-1:03.75, 1:47.5-1:54, 1:56.5-2:03 = 29.5 seconds of a 2:43-long mix or 18%.

Word. Too much Gadget. Not that some usage can't be in there, and there's no hard and fast cutoff for cases like this, but we generally lean pretty restrictive on non-VGM usage. I'll have to also co-sign on the Inspector Gadget theme being too prominent and used for significant portions of the mix making it a no-go on too much non-VGM source use.

Just a formality, Jake, as the track was otherwise strong stuff. If you're interested in revisiting this and further limiting the Gadget usage, we could roll with this.

NO