Connecting an SM57 to a G5

FM

So I've got an SM57 - or rather, I will, once it ships in the next few days. But I don't know anything about Microphones, or ports, or all that, so I'm not sure what to do next. I've got a Mac G5, it's got an Audio Line-In port and an Optical Digital-In port, and maybe some other things as well. So from my understanding, I'd have to get something that converts the XLR to one of these kind of ports (something along the lines of 1/8th? - but I don't know what that means, or the differentiation between male and female and all that), or I could get a USB or firewire interface, but I'd prefer not to spend more than $50-60 (although M-Audio FastTracks can be found on ebay for about this much). What should I do next?

http://www.zzounds.com/item--MDOMOBILEPRE - but that Behringer is cheaper. You'll have to put the audio in the G5's default sound card (which is, if it's on-board, not that awesome).

Really, if you want to start making music with your computer saving up for audio interface makes sense. The Fast Track looks good, too, and it's even cheaper than that Mobile Pre. If you can get one secondhand, why not?

re: the other thing:

Male - sticks out

Female - offers a hole

It's as simple as that :).